Mixbus2 and OSC control

Hi all,

I have succeeded in controlling mixbus via midi commands from my iPod using TouchOSC and OSCulator on a OS 10.6.8 Macbook Pro. Is anyone using this, or any similar setup, to control via osc commands rather than midi? I have tried myself but mixbus is so far unresponsive even though “use osc” is enabled; I would appreciate some guidance with respect to correct routing syntax in osculator (am of course asking at osc forums). Thanks.
Simon

@ihaveaxwilltrvl: i’d rather discuss this via email or on IRC.

Are you using the right port number? I’ve been using puredata to communicate between touchOSC and Ardour. You can see my post about it in the Tips and Tricks subforum.

Yes I am, as per the Ardour OSC Control info which states that Ardour/Mixbus listens on port 3819. The problem turned out to be my understanding of the commands in the OSCulator app. Now it’s working.
For future reference the solution can be found here: http://www.osculator.net/forum/threads/1588-Mixbus2-and-OSC-control
Cheers,
Simon.

I am starting with Mixbus, with no previous experience with Ardour (running on mac).
After having activated the “Use OSC” in Mixbus, I went through Ardour OSC info page: https://community.ardour.org/osc_control
I learned about the expected port 3819 and the list of allowed commands.

I have been able to use the transport commands: “/ardour/transport_stop”, “/ardour/transport_play” without any issue.
To handle OSC (send/receive) I’m using MaxMSP, no issue to send OSC message with no arg (I guess I could have been stuck here for a while)
Furthermore, it has been dead easy to address a track volume fader: “/ardour/routes/gainabs 2 0.7”
The list of commands is huge but I didn’t found the commands for the entire channel strip (eq/comp) ?
I am also not sure about the [remote_id] and the parameter it could allow access at.

Hope this is the correct place to share on that.

And what about Ardour/Mixbus sending OSC message?
If possible, what is the port used?

Ardour, like most OSC systems, will send an OSC reply to the same IP address and port that the query was received from. Ardour does not currently send any OSC messages without being asked to do so.

Ardour has no builtin FX (e.g. EQ/compression) in its channel strips, so there is no builtin address for such things. I do not believe that Mixbus has added OSC-addressability for its plugins. Ardour 3.x has general addressability for all plugin parameters. The “remote ID” of a track is a unique number that identifies the track. In Ardour the user has some choices over how the remote ID is determined - typically it is based on the order of display in the editor window. I do not know the precise situation with Mixbus - you should probably use the Harrison support email address to ask them.

I asked Ben earlier today, there is no ability to directly address the EQ/Comp/etc. on the channel strip at this time is my understanding.

Seablade

Thank you really much for your technical reply and specially regarding the Mixbus confirmation from Ben.

I will then continue my investigations with MIDI (for which Mixbus EQ/Comp are accessible) and keep an eye on OSC (was really impressed by the great precision you could have over a volume gain, either in ABS or dB).

Cheers.

Hello,

I do not understand if I can receive OSC messages from Mixbus/Ardour into Max7.
I could not use Max7 to listen to port 3819 as it is already been used (by Mixbus/Ardour).

Paul has mentioned some configuration steps I would like to understand:
Ardour, like most OSC systems, will send an OSC reply to the same IP address and port that the query was received from. Ardour does not currently send any OSC messages without being asked to do so.

At the moment I send OSC to Mixbus on port 3819, should I send a OSC command to instruct Mixbus about a new port number?
Any example would be appreciated, specially the possibility to send and received OSC between Mixbus and a local application on the same computer.

Mixbus v4 will integrate options to manually set the OSC outgoing port, same as Ardour.