Mixbus and Ardour 6 this month?

Oh, I’m on it. My one pet peeve with the Mixbus marketing is how many darn emails I receive with exactly the same information. There was a point when I was receiving the same email more times than there were days in the week. It has calmed down considerably but I expect them to ramp up again (if they haven’t started already). The “what’s in the box?” thing got annoying, honestly. However, if I unsubscribe, the one email I want—the upgrade offer—doesn’t come. This might sound harsh but I already receive too much spam in my digital life. It’s a little pushy compared to most other companies I know.

2 Likes

I very much sympathize with getting too many emails. But I would stick with it until you get that sick price on 32c. After that, go ahead and unsubscribe :slight_smile:

My monitor isn’t big enough for optimal 32C (apparently). Given I own regular Mixbus I’m looking forward to my $19 upgrade (or so the website says when I click on the question mark). I actually bought an earlier version of 32C but never used it (definitely more a way to support development!).

EDIT: “Mixbus32C now has better support for smaller video monitors!” Eeeeek.

2 Likes

FYI on regular Mixbus 6 release:
http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum/thread-6411-post-48161.html#pid48161

1 Like

When I first saw the post about “issue of the EQ on small monitors” my first thought was “how are they going to fix my small speakers? The bass is always going to be iffy no matter what they do with EQ.” It took me a minute to realize “oh, they mean VIDEO monitor.” :grin:

3 Likes

HI x42

I understand then that 6.0-pre0-3359 is stable enough for production use?
or am I wrong?

1 Like

lol. my bad. I was excited and at work so I didn’t phrase that properly. EQ is now collapsible.

@anon60445789 check out the new Mixbus32c first with your displays. In my specific case it s harder to view everything than in previous versions (i m on a 4k 24" screen)

Thanks for the heads-up. I just managed to get the $79 upgrade price (I had unsubcribed from the 32C list apparently) and was thinking of upgrading my monitor at some point. Sounds like just getting a 27" 1080 monitor isn’t enough? Testing the demo now on my 23" 1080 monitor…

1 Like

Huh. I’m pleasantly surprised at how good it looks. The track strips make it easy with the collapsible EQ and Sends. I agree that the mixer strips are a little small but upping the mixer strip scaling makes it super easy to see them, Looks like at 120% I could still see 4 plugins in the mixbusses without needing to scroll. Perfect for my needs! I think as a classical engineer people would start to ask questions if I was stacking more than that :wink: I think I’ll be handing over $79 in the very near future! Color me impressed…

EDIT: And just when I thought it couldn’t get any cooler, I just tried the mixer screenshot tool. Wow.

2 Likes

I’m using a 27-inch 2560 x 1440 monitor (Dell Ultrasharp) and Mixbus 32c v.6 is glorious on it.

There’s also Preferences > Metering > Post Export Analysis > Save Mixer screenshot after export.

Thanks to Import Mixer Strip, Mixer Screenshot, Stem Export Select (Vincent from Superdirt²)

3 Likes

A quick license transfer sale of Studio One Pro v4.6 (thanks for making things simple, Presonus!) and, just like that, I now own 32C v6 :tada: Let the games begin…

1 Like

I’m glad you got that price! And yeah, I think some people blow the monitor thing out of portion. I too use a 23" screen for the mixer on version5 and it didn’t bother me that much. Especially, once you have the knob functions memorized.
Also, you should totally try putting that Stunning Phaser plugin on some violins :rofl: You could be post-classical!

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single engineer in possession of a good DAW, must be in want of a stunning phaser.

1 Like

Thanks Robin for the nice feature and the hint :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying this feature a great deal. However, it seems that to be truly useful, value readouts should be super-imposed onto the image near each knob and fader (perhaps only if a non-zero value)? For example, I have a lovely picture of gain trim away from zero on every track strip but no way to exactly recreate if I lost the session. All I know is that it is north of zero.

And, if one is to push this idea even further, a separate collage image of all plugins’ GUIs/generic controls aligned vertically by track would be amazing (a little like the Jack routing images that can be generated in Carla).

I kind of feel like this is what snapshots are for, though, at least if you want this level of detail saved for reference. Export and take a snapshot (or take a snapshot and then export). And if you want to use those same settings on another project, you could save it as a template.

1 Like

True. Unless I print out the mixer image it can just as easily be lost as any other file on a harddrive. So, are we saying that the mixer image is just for nostalgia/geeking out or for a simple picture of plugins used and number of tracks/approximate fader/trim settings?

I should also add that as a classical engineer I’m always writing down values while on location and taking photos of the setup etc just in case I need to recreate the following day or for another concert much later. For just one split second I dreamed of being able to capture a complete image in Mixbus or Ardour to avoid bringing the pencil and paper :wink: