Mixbus 2.0.6 for linux

Users of Mixbus 2.0.6 on linux are advised that a bug was introduced into 2.0.6 which will cause occasional crashes when unloading / removing some plugins - It is important to note that this is not a fault with the plugins. We have identified the cause and confirmed a fix with Harrison, and are currently awaiting an official update / release from Harrison. In the meantime there is unfortunately very little we can do to rectify the problem. This does not affect previous versions of Mixbus.

@seablade: correct, the fix is in SVN, and while you may not have had a problem with 2.0.6 on linux yet - the nature of the fault is such that it will occur at some point, its just a matter of time.

I experienced too, that with the 2.0.6 unloading plugins causes crashes, lookin forward to a fixed update

whats the story about the mini plugins ? didn’t understand that

yours Prof Knaakenbroed

Off the top of my heàd there was a fix for a rather nasty longstanding crash, as well as a custom UI version of gverb and a dynamics pouting. The fix Linuxdsp is referring to is already in svn, but I haven’t had a problem yet with it on Linux.

good to know, thanks, i ll wait with the update on my desktop, already updated on the laptop ;( harrison wasnt really clear about what the update brought at all for linux, something about mini plug ins gverb support?!? hmmm…

@scg62: I think the mini plugins are just some LV2s which Harrison have created. The GVerb+ appears to be a version of GVerb with a Harrison GUI, but obviously, someone from Harrison would be better placed to explain what other changes they might have made.

Hi all!

Yes, version 2.0.6 on Linux comes with 2 free plugins: GVerb+ and Sustain! These are initial launches of bundled LV2 plugins and are shared “just among our friends” in the Linux community while we work on porting LV2 to OSX and Windows.

Sustain is an “extremely-easy” compressor/expander loosely based on popular rack gear. Sustain only has one control slider, and a meter that shows gain (to the right) and gain reduction (to the left). Sustain is first in a series of very simple plugins, each suited to a simple task. Once you learn the sound of Sustain, you’ll know quickly whether it will work on your source or not. The simple control settings make it very suitable for use in Mixbus’s “plugin sliders” on the mixer strips.

GVerb+ is a simple algorithmic reverb that is based on a ubiquitous 80’s-era delays-with-feedback algorithm. The cool thing about GVerb+ is the GUI. Several preset values are presented in the top area. If the knob settings match a preset, you’ll see the preset turn red. If “some” of the knobs match a preset, you’ll see it turn yellow. The idea is that you can recognize when your knob settings are near an existing preset. The source code for the GVerb DSP is available. It is simply 2 Gverb instances, one which is low-pass filtered and one which is high-pass filtered. This allows a wider range of “spaces” that can be simulated using the single algorithm.

Regarding the LinuxDSP crash: I ported some changes from A3 which were needed to fix a 100% repeatable crash when deleting Gtk-based plugins (specifically, the Invada plugins). I left off part of the patch, and it created an “uninitialized pointer” in the External GUI plugins (such as LinuxDSP). Unfortunately this kind of bug is intermittent, and our system didn’t crash when we tested it. Long-time software developers will recognize that this kind of thing occasionally happens. Sorry about that!

Although we aren’t ready to release a new “official” package, users who are affected can write us for an interim package which will solve the problem.

Best Regards!
-Ben Loftis
Harrison Consoles

In addition to the free sustain plugin, there are some guitar effects to try here:

http://www.linuxdsp.co.uk/download/lv2/download_guitar_fx/index.html

Of course they can also be used with any other instruments or sources. The bundle contains Chorus, Distortion / Overdrive, Phaser and Auto-Wah. The Distortion also includes optional speaker / cabinet emulation. The speaker / cab emulation is optimized for recording / re-amping, so rather than being tuned to emulate a huge amp stack, it is voiced to sit in a mix without being too powerful.
The phaser was inspired by MXR effects such as the Phase 90 and provides a subtle yet musical effect.
All the effects are JACK compatible, with MIDI control of Bypass - create a virtual ‘pedal board’ with a suitable controller - and are also available as LV2 plugins for re-amping / adding effects to existing tracks in a DAW.