mix contest

Hi,

just to mention a punk rock mix contest, here:

Have fun!

Thanks man. Actually downloaded the tracks yesterday and fired up Ardour/Mixbus for a quick rough mix. Probably won’t win, but still.

here’s mine, 100% made with A4, on Linux

You need to have a Mac or a windows machine to use the prize. Its autotune, because the contest seems to be a autotune advertisement campaign :slight_smile:

I’m glad I found this thread. I didn’t know this kind of competitions existed. Is it free to download the tracks?
What kind of processing is allowed? can you use eq-ing, effects, automation and everything? or are there some kind of constraint/limits on what you can do with the tracks?
Can you use any program to make the mix? Do they ask you what program and plugins you will use?

vervelover: do you mind telling us what you did with your version?

Hello all.

Thank you to stratojaune for posting this up. I decided to give it a go simply for the practice (I didnt bother to enter it).

It’s far from perfect but here is my attempt.

It is (of course) all done using ardour - mainly using Calf Plugins, a coupe of LinuxDSP (RIP) and the IR plugin for reverb.

If anyone has any comments I would be hapy to hear them.

Cheers

Give the vocals more room-space, they are just a bit weak because of “musical engine running at 200 miles on highway” ( this song sounds like a engine turned at its limits :))
Less lows ( 1db? or… try it), set the rythm section ( all instrumenst :slight_smile: for 1 db lower and vocals 1 db more!!.
Rearrange, copy the end of song ( last guitar and bass “leadout”, reverse it and paste it at the beginn, mix vocals to it until first ref.)
With “sunny new day…”, unmute all istrumenst, the enginge jumps on :), try mutes, leave vocals allone with bass and so on.

If you have time, experiment, youll learn more how the song is “working”.
Try something with delays, panning…

Such a “nonstatic songs” make an engineer mixing it live (foh), happy, really happy, imagine yourself
at FOH mixer, and song is powerfull but “static”, you would push the faders up, and get bored.

With an diverse arrangement, you would “play with the band”, tap delays, switch the mutes, turn the pannings…
An audio engineer is an musician, dont forget this when you mix :slight_smile: Mixing pult-desk is an instrument to make music.
cheers

People mix their stuff so it sounds powerfull, ok it´s not so bad,
but brickwalled, killing your ears for sure :slight_smile:
with “new york” compression and so on.
But the songs are just not treated as a music, please understand it, its a music not Bulldozer not a Tank.
It has something to do with this time we live in.
It has something to do with our noisy cities.

So try to make (mix) an “good night children” song of this material.

ah, sylos dont get me wrong, i did not mentioned your mix. I just listened into contest on zelab site.
Just try to make as much as possible mixes, versions, dont think at “form of sound” (sound of kick-drum attack at “23 Hz”, and so on)
Imagine you have all that trks on the Table, and they ar made of, paper.
Squeeze it, strech it, cutt it, glue it, make puzzle…
Listen, listen, feel, feel, listen, listen…
and have a luck.
cheers

@nedzad - I have to admit I am confused as hell as to whether your suggestions are specific to my mix - but either way there are some interesting points. Thus far I have been focused solely on trying to get a mix that sounds half way to professional - just something balanced, clear, and not tiring to listen to. It’s an interesting point to see it as a more creative role than that. Food for thought…

Cheers

:slight_smile: its all right, this is something more important, dont be angry, just read and try to understand.

“THERE are four factors which, when applied upon human beings,
‘programme’ them like machines. These are the factors which are
used in indoctrination and conditioning. By their use, deliberate
or otherwise, self-applied or otherwise, the human mind is made
more mechanical, and will tend to think along stereotyped
lines”
…its Shah Idries, from ´>>Learning how to learn.<<
Food for thought:)

Its important to open up the way you mix!!
There is no way, you make the way :slight_smile:
You are already professional, now get out of the proffesionalities, leave that cage, and doo more then just an professional.

Someone gives you idea about way, not tellin you “must make only this way, its only the right one”
Its hard to believe, but…
see the movie Sound City but listen what “actors” are telling, dont be distracted with the sound and music.
Listen what Rick Rubin is telling, he and all others.
Cheers