Minilab mkII + Ardour + define pads

Ardour doesn’t change sounds on your pads. Your pad doesn’t have any sound. Your pad is a midi note and it is sent on a channel.
The only responsibility Ardour has is to receive the signal and route it. In this case, it routes it to sfizz and sfizz assigns a sound.
There is nothing that needs to be changed via Arturia Control Center.
There is nothing that needs to be changed in Ardour. You already saw via the MIDI Tracer that the signal is coming in and that the pads and keys are on different channels.
The problem here is the way sfizz is setup. sfizz needs to be set up to assign all incoming notes on Channel 10 to the drum sounds that you want.
I very much suggest you reach out to sfizz community and ask them how to go about doing so.

1 Like

in this screenshot you posted, what happens when you click on the text box that says “No key switch”.

Hi @drsaamah I understand what you said.

Nothing happens clicking on “No key switch”.

Look, I said that about Ardour, because I though it could easy as Middle Click over the keyboard in Ardour and that’s all.

It works for the volume. Why not the keyboard key? Anyway, I have to learn more about audio in linux, Ardour, plugins and MIDI Controller.

Thanks,

1 Like

That’s a great question. So volume is handled by Ardour. When you middle click to MIDI learn a CC channel to a parameter, you are assigning a CC channel from your MIDI controller to that parameter which Ardour controls. In your example, volume. You can do the same with Panning or any other parameter that Ardour controls.
But Ardour does not control sfizz. It does not assign the sounds in sfizz to MIDI notes and channels. This is something that sfizz does.
If you would like, disable sfizz in the MIDI track that you have set up (click the little green circle next to sfizz in the mixer strip of that track in the mixer window). Now right click somewhere in the space of that channels’ mixer strip and go to New Plugin->By Tag->Instrument and add the Black Pearl Drumkit.
Do the pads on your Minilab make any drum sounds now?

1 Like

As far as midi mapping the controls to Ardour see this link.

As far as setting a pad to a midi note see a new template.

See these links.

1 Like

The Minilab controller maps the pads 1-8 to MIDI notes 36 (C2) to 43 (G2).
Since you were trying to play samples which were mapped to F2, G2, and A2 only pads 6 and 8 will trigger sounds, and the sound assigned to A2 is not playable.

There are three basic solutions you can use:

• Setup the Arturia MIDI Control Center software and make a new pad-to-note mapping and save to one of the presets.
  • Use a plugin which lets you configure which notes maps to which sound
  • Modify the SFZ sample package you use with Sfizz to have the note mapping you want.

Sfizz plays sample files which are mapped to MIDI commands with an sfz file, which can be edited with a text editor.

I am not sure where the sfz file with the African drums you are trying to use came from, but there should be a file ending in .sfz which maps note numbers to samples. You could edit that file to map 8 of the sounds to notes 36 to 43.

This site describes the SFZ file format, and this page has drum specific information:
SFZ drum file tutorial

2 Likes

Hi @ccaudle You are right. Pads 6 and 8 sounds. I didn’t notice that because I need to hit strong the pad to heard the sound, not just touch. I test it after reading your post.

And is really easy to get done. I change key = 45 to 36 and so on. Now it works. Thanks for your help. Thanks to everyone. Ha, I am one little step forward.

I found African Drums here:
https://www.bandshed.net/sounds/sfz/

Thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.