Midimap change bind?

The question is simple - is there any way to change midimap by button?

In august 2016 I’ve managed to write two midimaps for AKAI’s Midimix, and I’m really glad that midimaps are now included in Ardour.

But today I’ve had an idea - what if it was possible to change midimap “on the fly” to make work process with midi-controller easier?

For example, Midimix has one button, which is not used in those midimaps - “SEND ALL”. And I guess that it will never be used.
It could be great to bind that button to change midi maps.

I want to make another midimap, to control compressors on different tracks and banks and it would be great to quickly switch between 3 maps just by pressing one button and not opening a menu to choose a map.

So, maybe, there is some way to do that? I thought about LUA Scripts, but haven’t found anything like this in examples (and I’m not good at scripting, frankly).

There’s no way to do this at present. That includes Lua, which currently does not have the bindings that would be required to do this. There would be significant work to be done to allow the user to configure which MIDI binding maps were being switched between before it would be possible to set up a single action to actually make the switch.

What I think you may want to investigate instead is the use of bindings to the N-th selected track (“Sn” rather than “Bn”), which would then let you use the same set of controls on the surface and dynamically map them by changing the currently selected track.

What I think you may want to investigate instead is the use of bindings to the N-th selected track ("Sn" rather than "Bn"), which would then let you use the same set of controls on the surface and dynamically map them by changing the currently selected track.

Doesn’t that mean that I’ll be able to control certain plugins (or gain, or drive, etc) on certain tracks?
I mean, for example, I have compressor on track 2 and equalizer on track 3, and when I select track 2 I’ll be able to control compressor on it (without anything else due to 3 knobs MIDIMIX has in a row), and when I select track 3 I’ll be able to control equalizer on it. And if I’ll select track 2 back I’ll be able to control compressor again. Oh, here’s the question - is it necessary to select each track before operating the control surface or I can do all the tricks without a mouse?
Honestly, I can’t get how it works yet. I also haven’t seen any use of Sn in existing midi maps.

P.S: Sorry for bad English. I do some mistakes, I know.

Ardour currently has no way of identifying plugin bindings by the name/type of the plugin. So if you wanted bindings to move smoothly from track A to track B, then both tracks need to have the same pluginsin the same order. If you don’t, then the bindings will still (potentially) do something … since they are to the “Nth control of the Mth plugin on some track”. So the same control on the surface might end up controlling very different aspects of the compressor versus the equalizer (all the more so since such plugins really have almost nothing in common; the situation would be even more confusing if you used two different compressors on different tracks).

Selection can be driven from a control surface. Whether you have enough buttons to do depends on the control surface. Most Mackie Control devices, for example, typically have a select button per strip.

“Sn” is a new feature in Ardour. You won’t find any examples of it yet.

I don’t really get how it works at this moment, but I’ll try to do something with it. Don’t understand how it will help me to control two plugins with 3 knobs, though.
I’ll reply in this topic then.

So if you wanted bindings to move smoothly from track A to track B, then both tracks need to have the same plugins in the same order.
I think I've done something like this before. That's why also wrote about placing a-EQ plugin before fader in "EQ-Mode" map for MIDIMIX.