Midifiles folder is empty

Hi all,

when opening a recent MIDI project, it immediately showed me these errors:

midifiles

So I went to check in “interchange/midifiles” folder and it is empty. So I lost that job? How is it possible?
[Ardour 7.4 on Linux]

a.

So something in your session is pointing to a source that doesn’t exist, which is not the same as the file doesn’t exist. In Ardour’s terms, the source is defined elsewhere in your file. So the question is does the file name exist somewhere in your file, and does it point to your interchange folder, or somewhere else? This can be searched for via a text editor.

To be honest the most probable cause of this that I can think of would be running a ‘flush wastebasket’ and ‘cleanup’ operation, but that shouldn’t be possible if the source is still referenced.

Seablade

Hi @seablade,
those files no longer exist, I looked for them, they are nowhere. But they should be in “midifiles” inside “interchange”, as always, but for an unknown reason they were deleted.
That folder should be full of MIDI files, but instead it is empty.

The project was very complex, very long MIDI tracks (over 20 minutes), very numerous and where I had done a lot of copy/cut and paste operations. So there were many MIDI regions.
Unfortunately this is the only time I didn’t back up immediately. It’s Murphy’s law.

Yes but my question (Clarified a bit here) was, does the filename still exist in your session file?

Meaning does the text of the file name exist in the session file, and if so, does it point to the local folder, or is it an absolute path in the session file that would mean it was embedded instead of imported.

Seablade

The session doesn’t open at all, how do I check if it doesn’t open?
When I give OK to the error message above, it makes me choose to open another project.
However, the folders of the damaged project are all there, including the .ardour file, the only anomalous thing is that “midifiles” is empty.

I made a recovery attempt with PhotoRec, looking only for files with the .mid extension.
He found me an infinite number of them, but they have completely different alphanumeric names, and that’s a problem. I doubt I’ll find anything, and in any case putting them back together would be a challenge.
a.
EDIT: I report a part of what is written in the terminal when I try to open that project:

ERROR: Found a sound file that cannot be used by Ardour. Talk to the programmers.
ERROR: Session: cannot create Source from XML description.
ERROR: Found a sound file that cannot be used by Ardour. Talk to the programmers.
ERROR: Session: XMLNode describing a MidiRegion references an unknown source id =28540
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take246_8bit_Vitalium-2'
ERROR: Session: XMLNode describing a MidiRegion references an unknown source id =28589
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take245_8bit_Vitalium-3.1'
ERROR: Session: XMLNode describing a MidiRegion references an unknown source id =69906
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take245_8bit_Vitalium-3.-ch1-2.mid'
ERROR: Session: XMLNode describing a MidiRegion references an unknown source id =69906
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take245_8bit_Vitalium-3.-ch1-2.mid'
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take245_8bit_Vitalium-3.-ch1-2.1'
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take245_8bit_Vitalium-3.-ch1-2.2'
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take245_8bit_Vitalium-3.-ch1-2.2'
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take245_8bit_Vitalium-3.-ch1-2.3'
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take245_8bit_Vitalium-3.-ch1-2.5'
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take245_8bit_Vitalium-3.-ch1-2.7'
ERROR: Session: cannot create Region from XML description. Can not load state for region 'Take245_8bit_Vitalium-3.-ch1-2.9'

For length reasons I cut it, but numerous other missing regions follow.

You open the .ardour file in a text editor and look for the references to the .mid files to see if the file references are to the directory you expected or not.

Sorry, I didn’t understand.
Yes, the names of the MIDI files are there in the .ardour file opened in a text editor.
(If they weren’t there, how would it list them in the error message…?)
For example, if I search for the “Take245_8bit_Vitalium” file I find this (it’s just three screenshot):

Copy and paste the full xml line with the filename here please? Note you will probably need to surround it with three backticks (On the us keyboard layout this is the key to the left of the 1 in the top row) in order for it to show up on these forums.

Seablade

I updated the previous message with a screenshot, can it help you?

So I am guessing all of these were recorded in Ardour itself? Well there goes that theory.

It is interesting that we have an escaped apostrophe in the error message file name, also those are some long ass file names as well, but on top of that I do note that most of the region names seem to end in .3mid or .2mid instead of 3.mid or 2.mid

Also interesting that in the terminal output some regions end in .mid and some don’t.

I feel like there is a bit of inconsistency here, so my new theory to explore would be if it comes from the names of the files themselves.

So no good idea at the moment, lots of questions sadly. Sorry

Seablade

Yes, I’ve recorded some long tracks with a MIDI keyboard directly into Ardour.
Then I did a meticulous cut/copy&paste job, like a collage, which is why I think the names of the regions became very very long, but while I was doing it I didn’t think about it at all…
So maybe the problem is the length of the region names. But I don’t understand how this led to the total deletion of the MIDI files.
In fact midi files with those names no longer exist on my hard drive.

It might be worth trying a file recovery application. If you are on Linux with an ext4 file system, something like Extundelete might work.

Cheers,

Keith

Yes, I’m on Linux. As I wrote in a previous message, I have already made a recovery attempt with PhotoRec, allowing it to recover only the files with the .mid extension.
He found a mountain of them, all the files deleted in recent months. They no longer have the original names (this is a problem) but they have alphanumeric names. If I found them it would still be a challenge to put them in order. However, I haven’t found them so far.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.