Midi volume dropping (fixed)

Hi all…

Currently on 8.2 (and loving it)… Been playing with some midi and have recorded a few tracks (drumgizmo, bass, piano etc) and after an hour or 2, drumgizmo volume dropped way down to around 25-30% of what it was. I tried to raise the velocity to 127 on the midi notes (fader already 100%), but the volume barely moves up, feels like something else is now controlling it?

I had spent too long trying to sort that so reduced the volume on all other tracks so I could still hear drumgizmo, then after 20 mins another midi track (sax on GM) did the same. Tried to raise velocity to 127, from around 80-90, but it barely made a difference. There are no effects on these midi tracks, only thing I had done is create a couple of audio tracks which I had been working on.

Searched and found a post where someone once had something similar (https://discourse.ardour.org/t/midi-track-reduced-volume/1096160, but they did not receive a working solution, their setup was also different to mine.

The sax track was created using the piano-roll, variables on the notes (around 80-90) and did not use a midi device to input them. Drumgizmo also entered using the piano roll, using percussive notes.

Any ideas?

Perhaps CC7 (MIDI Volume automation)?

Hey Robin…
No automation on these tracks at all… Just had 3 more midi tracks do this, volume dropped to less than 50%. Had a fresh install of AV Linux 21.3 yesterday (so also fresh Ardour 8.2) and everything running flawlessly until now. Going to save and reboot, see if it persists…

One other of thing, the notes visible in these tracks turn black, they go back to normal when I increase the height and then stay normal…

Got worse after a reboot and firing up the file again, all GM midi had defaulted to piano, all volumes were at max 50%…

I had forgotten that I had imported a midi track (a drum beat) at the start though, I had muted and hidden the track, and when I un-hid it, there was automation on it! (nice to see your telepathy working well Robin). About 10 tracks of automation with 2 tracks labelled ‘controller 84 [16]’. These did not have a green active line showing and when I manually moved the fader for this, all volumes came back!! Now need to check for burst eardrums and find the cat which bolted at 100mph out the house… Mental note to turn volume down on amp when trying to restore said volume…

Have deleted the track, and that midi file I imported, fired up a new session and all is fine in paradise again, apart from the cat…
Sorry for false alarm!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.