Midi transpose pitch while playing

Hello!
How do I transpose midi while playing?
I don’t want to record and then transpose. I want to play and transpose by some octaves or notes while I am playing.
I tried the plugin ‘midi chromatic transpose’ but it doesn’t work for all the values. Any built in solution?
I use Ardour 5.12.

I use the “MIDI Chromatic transpose” plugin, it works like a charm !

What do you mean ?
If you’re having issues setting how many semi-tones to transpose with the slider, just double-click on the slider and enter the value with the keyboard.

What do you mean ? If you’re having issues setting how many semi-tones to transpose with the slider, just double-click on the slider and enter the value with the keyboard.

I mean that in my ardour I have so slider on the plugin, it only shows the number of chromatics transpose.
The only way I can change the value is to right/left click on it, or to scroll on the value.
But when doing this, it doesn’t goes on all the values. For example, when right clicking, it goes 0 -1 -2 -4 -5 -7 -8 -10 -11 -13 … it 's crazy!

Strange …
That’s how the plugin looks here

Maybe get an updated version here ? x42 MIDI Filter Collection

Thank you Vincent, I updated the plugin with the last version and didn’t do the trick.
But then I updated Ardour to 6.9 and now I have sliders like you and it works (even with the old version of the x42 plugins .
So I guess it was a bug from Ardour 5.12.

1 Like

glad you manged to figure it out !
It’s a very simple but useful plugin :slight_smile:

Now a quick remark because in your initial email you said you wanted to RECORD the transposed notes.
Right now, if you have just placed the plugin before your virtual instrument and if you looked at the actual recorded notes, you will have seen that the recorded notes are not transposed. They’re in fact transposed at playback.

Now if you REALLY want to record the transposed notes (so it’s transposed before it is recorded) there’s a convenient way to do that in Ardour :slight_smile:
If you go in the Menu of your track and then DISK I/O you can activate the “Custom Record-Playback positions”

And now you can move your transposition plugin BEFORE the recorder and voilà :slight_smile:

That’s not usually something I do personally … but always good to know what’s possible :wink:

Thank you for the completeness and yes it is good to know.
This Ardour is very modular.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.