Midi out of tune

Hi,
The midi instruments I am using all go slightly out of tune, as the pith goes up (MDA, Calf, Helm, it doesn’t matter).
So I have to “detune upwards” as the notes go high, pretty much with all midi instruments, but especially for the basses. It is still acceptable for most of them, but for the basses, an interval of one octave is enough to sound weird (it sounds like 11,5 semitones instead of 12, or something close to it).
Is it a problem specific to Ardour? Or does it have something to do with my computer?

Maybe a sample-rate mismatch? The soundcard runs at 48kHz while the session (and instruments) use 44.1k?

Are you using JACK? Some modern soundcards support only 48kHz, and jackd can silently fall back to 48k even if you configure 44.1.

Ardour and QjackCtl both show a sampling rate of 44.1kHz. If Jack was actually running at 48, would it display it ?

Have a look at the log (in qjackctl), messages that jackd prints when it is started.

Thanks for your answer.
Apparently nothing showing a mismatch. I prefer not to translate it to avoid mistakes, but that’s quite transparent.

18:09:50.574 Réinitialisation des statistiques.
18:09:50.583 Changement des connexions ALSA.
18:09:50.643 DBUS : le service est disponible (org.jackaudio.service soit jackdbus).
Cannot connect to server socket err = Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
18:09:50.664 Changement du graphique des connexions ALSA.

Just a precision, despite the error messages, Ardour does start and work.

Hello salut,

Did you try with alsa audio backend?

As tu essayé en utilisant directement l audio via alsa(reglages audio/midi de ardour)?

Salut!
It sounds way better now! It’s actually the first time that I am not suffering when focusing on the basse = )
I didn’t pay attention to the configuration before playing with the parameters, but I think I had alsa as audio system, and nothing as a midi system. (hence the message about jack not starting?)
Anyway, I switched to jack as audio system, and anything from the list in midi system.
I am still a dummy about these configs, but at least now it works.
Merci beaucoup !

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.