MIDI Keyboard Setup

I have a MIDI Keyboard (Alesis V49) and I can’t seem to get it set up and working.

I’ve downloaded the drivers and updated the software for it and Ardour recognizes it and connects to it, but no matter what I try I can’t get it to make any sound. I’m new to MIDI and have only a small amount of experience with Ardour so I’m fairly certain it comes down to my lack of knowledge here.

If anyone knows how I can solve this issue then it would be greatly appreciated. (I’m using Ardour 5.12.0 for reference)

Just a few things to check first:

When you added a track, you added a MIDI track, right? And did you select an instrument? I think by default Ardour uses the General MIDI Synth, but there are a few to choose from.

Once the MIDI track is created, right-click on the track header (the area in the Editor where the mute, solo, playlist, automation, and group buttons are), and click on “Inputs.” Be sure there’s a little green dot at the connection point from MIDI in to your system in the “Hardware” tab. Without that you won’t get any levels to the track.

When you play a few notes on the keyboard, do you see levels showing up in the meters or is there nothing?

I have done that and still nothing is coming up. MIDI track, input is set, no sound or registering audio

Okay, but are you seeing levels in the meters when you play the keyboard? If you’re seeing levels in the meters but not hearing any sound that helps isolate where the problem may lie.

Nope, those are flat-lined. Tried changing the synth type as well and nothing.

Okay, check to see that the MIDI Input Enable/Disable button in the Mixer is green (enabled).

See http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/mixbus6-live-manual/1/en/topic/instrument-plugins (I know this is for Mixbus, but Ardour works the same in this case; the Mixbus manual has a bit more detail on MIDI than the Ardour one does).

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.