midi key binding map files

I’m trying to save some custom midi keybindings and have made a file in ~/.config/ardour3/midi_maps/test.map following the instructions on http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/midi-binding-maps/ but I can’t figure out how to load that file in ardour. I thought I might find it in Preferences -> Control Surfaces -> Generic Midi -> Control Protocol Options -> Midi Bindings but they’re just commercially available midi devices. I’m making a custom key binding because I built a custom midi device. In the Midi Tracer window I can see all my midi control messages coming in but I can’t bind them to anything. I also tried middle clicking on the control I want to assign but nothing happens after I physically push the button on my device. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Jono

From what you describe, this should work.
The only thing I can think of would be that the name is not unique (ArdourMIDIBindings version=“1.0.0” name=“YOUR NAME HERE”)
Compare to existing maps see https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/tree/master/midi_maps/
New maps also only show up after application restart.

Which version of ardour are you using?

Other than that, can you post the .map file somewhere? or visit IRC Menu > Help > Chat it’s often easier/faster to resolve these issues in realtime.

Thanks, that helped. I hadn’t even been paying attention to the binding name at the top of the xml code… I had just edited the example one and saved it with a different file name. So I thought maybe it was just showing up under a different name. I changed it in the map file and restarted ardour. Still no dice though. I’m using Ardour 3.5.403 on Xubuntu 13.10. Here’s the contents of my .map file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

hmm, well I seem to be having trouble getting the contents of the map file to post… formatting wise I’ve gone through it a bunch of times and don’t see anything wrong

The forum software appears to strip out XML code. You could try one of the mailing lists :slight_smile:

Thanks! I sent an email to the Ardour Users mailing list.