Midi export

Hi,
it is possible to export all midi trackes of a whole arrangement to midifile?
I try to export all regions of one track, but only the last part of a tack war export.

thanks
chris

1 Like

We do not support MIDI export at this time. However, the data is stored in SMF files which are a standard format that anything that handles MIDI can read. So the only real issue there is when you have a track with multiple regions that are drawn from multiple SMF files. In this scenario, the lack of export is indeed an issue and something we have to fix at some point. But exporting MIDI is so different from exporting audio, that it was not done as part of the overhaul to exporting that happened as part of ardour3’s development.

Thanks for the reply.
How can I combine multiple regions to one? The export of a single region works fine. This could be a work around for the moment.
I can combine audio regions but I can’t do it with midi regions.

thanks
chris

I wonder if you could record all the midi tracks you want to export into a new midi track and then use the midi file created for that track.
The midi file would be in subdirectory below the project directory interchange/PROJECT_NAME/midifiles in file TRACK_NAME.mid. Ardour3 mid files to not currently have tempo information but you can add add this using smfsh (or other ways)

Thanks, it is a great idea to record the midi tracks to a new track. It works for now, but it would be nice to have a possibility in the future to combine regions and export midi tracks/files.

thanks
chris

I can’t help you with the export pieces, but I can help with the MIDI CCs. Ardour records any incoming MIDI CC data from the port connected to track input. It can be found under the automation menu (the “A” button under the mute button next to the track name in the editor view). I also believe (though wait for someone else to confirm this, I’ve never dealt with it) that Ardour records SysEX and RPN/NRPN data, though how much you can edit it, I’m not sure.

When editing a MIDI region, you can use the mouse wheel when hovering over a note to change its velocity, and a small display with show up with the current value in it – is that what you were referring to?

I don’t think you can merge MIDI regions, but you can copy and paste notes – just select them when editing one region, press Ctrl (or Command)-C, enter the other region, place your mouse where you want them, and press Ctrl-(or Command)-V.

This was the first thing I noticed with MIDI, not being able to export an entire track at once. In the past (before the complete loss of my WinXP computer) I used Sonar to score all my horn parts in MIDI, prior to actually tracking my real horns. This allowed me to read my score in the staff view while tracking. Ardour, although a wonderful recording application, does not yet allow this. My workaround is to record the MIDI output of one track to another track, thereby creating a single region I can export. and open in MuseScore for a staff view.

Even so, I did find that SMF file had no time signature, and MuseScore assumes 4/4, making my 7/8 chart rather strange to read.

So, 3 things I would love to see as a MIDI enthusiast:
(1) time signatures in exported MIDI
(2) merging existing MIDI regions, or the ability to copy and paste selected notes into an existing region
(3) graphically edit velocities of notes

Just very curious, there are a few things I have yet to investigate: MIDI CC controller data, is it captured and is it editable? Suppose I play a WX5 wind controller and record its MIDI output. Will Ardour capture and play back all of the data output, aside from note data (you know, like pitch bend data, breath control CC#2 and expression CC#11)? How about SysEx and RPN/NRPN data?

Overall I am VERY pleased with my first impressions of Ardour and all of its amazing features. Please forgive my hijacking a very old post, and my chronic dependence on MIDI. Keep up the fine work.

Marty

I did attempt to record something from my wind controller, and ended up with a few problems I had not anticipated. The pitch bend data left all my MIDI tracks in a bent state and everything was flat relative to my audio tracks. I had not thought to look at the automation menu.

The mouse wheel hover thing may be something that helps… I’ll check that.

Can I copy and paste notes into the SAME region from which I copied them? Seems every time I try to paste anything, I get a new region.

I’m still not quite grasping how to route MIDI like I want. External MIDI controller (keyboard and/or wind controller) > Ardour MIDI track > external MIDI sound module (M-GS64). Is there a way to play THRU Ardour, where I can record my MIDI input and have the MIDI routed out to my external module? Is this something I should ask in another thread?

All your MIDI tracks? That’s strange. Sometimes you have to draw in extra “no bend” points – I believe the no bend value is 8192.

You should be able to copy paste into the same region… make sure you are still in edit mode (rather than grab mode) when you try to paste.

If you click on the routing block at the bottom of a MIDI channel’s mixer strip (can’t think of a clearer way to describe it, sorry), you should be able to open the routing grid and connect the MIDI out of the track to the MIDI in of the sound module, which should be listed under “system devices” or something like that.

Yes, I’m afraid I had all my MIDI channels set to 1.

Would I need a MIDI track with no instrument plugin to do this? How would my MIDI interface show in the routing grid? I’m using a cheap cable-style USB MIDI interface to connect my keyboard or wind controller and the external module. Shows up in Linux as CH345. The M-GS64 has 2 MIDI inputs, A & B which act as independent synths, and 1 MIDI THRU, which outputs anything input to the A input. I input MIDI to the A side, which is output to the THRU and to the computer via the USB cable interface. The output of the interface is connected to the B side of the sound module, and that B audio output should be what I can monitor for both recording and playback. I get MIDI into Ardour, but not out. Not sure if my setup is incorrect, or I just need a better interface. Could be both.

MIDI Keyboard > M-GS64 MIDI IN (A)
M-GS64 MIDI THRU > CH345 MIDI IN (USB)
CH345 MIDI OUT (USB) > M-GS64 MIDI IN B

I do plan to get a better MIDI interface as soon as I am able, contemplating either the M-Audio Midisport 2x2 or the Midiplus Tbox 2x2. There is a big price difference between them. Any recommendations for a Linux system?

Well, that’s a setup… any reason to not just do this (I’m just not fully understanding your needs, I think):

MIDI Keyboard > CH345 > Computer (Ardour) > M-GS64 MIDI IN A

I’ve never bought a MIDI interface for Linux, so I don’t have any specific recommendations. Just look for something class compliant (anything that says it works with iOS over the Camera Connection Kit should be class compliant too, I think).

MIDI goes in fine, but I can’t get MIDI out of the the USB-MIDI interface (CH345), and don’t know why or how. Using a MIDI monitor application I can see MIDI activity coming in, but does not show any out. Is it supposed to? I don’t really know how to troubleshoot the software or USB aspect of MIDI on Linux.

The reason I have it routed the way I do is so I can play my keyboard through the M-GS64 with or without the computer. I don’t need a computer on stage, but do for recording.

I’ve ordered the Tbox 2x2, which claims to be class compliant, we’ll see.

I miss the days of using a serial port for MIDI. It worked flawlessly for me in 1994, what hath God wrought?

Another reason for connecting the keyboard through the rack sound module first, is that I can monitor it with zero latency.

Eureka! Here’s what I did to get it working: On the output matrix for the track I want to use, on the hardware tab, I connected “MIDI Out” to “System”.

That’s it. It only took me 2 weeks of fiddling, but it works exactly as I had hoped it would.

Is there anything in Ardour documentation explaining this, or is playing MIDI thru their computer not something normal people do? I’ve been doing it for 20+ years… perhaps I’m not normal.

Eureka (again)… I’m not normal.

It is correct that you would not normally play MIDI “through” the computer. You’d normally play (generate) MIDI data outside the computer, and record it there, OR generate the MIDI data inside the computer (and optionally send it to something outside).

I guess I’m still a fan of hardware synthesis. The M-GS64 has good pianos, pads and orchestral sounds, and my JV80 has an orchestral board, which I should be able to use simultaneously once I get my 2x2 MIDI interface.

The latest Ardour6 has an export for MIDI ! Thanks Ardour !
Select the regions and right click > Selected Regions > MIDI > export

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.