Metronome pre-click

I have no problem to enable the metronome, but when I record something with the metronome enabled, I would like to have one or two bares with nothing but the metronome click before actually starting recording. But, as far as I know, there is no pre-click before recording. Is there a way to have some pre-click when recording?

I use Ardour version 6.3.

1 Like
  1. Menu > Transport >Record w/Preroll
  2. Menu > Transport >Record w/Count-In

(2) Clicks up to 2 bars (*), and then recording is started immediately at the playhead position.
This has the advantage that it works at 00:00:00:00, but if you start playing a bit early, it won’t be recorded. Onsets may be lost in that case.

(1) Rewind a bit, recording is started early, and at rec-stop the region is trimmed.
This has the advantage that the input is recorded if you start playing early. You can also hear context of other instruments play (and may not even need the click). It does however not work at the very start of a session near 00:00:00:00. The pre-roll duration can be configured in Preferences > Transport.

(*) There will be clicks for one full bar, and then a partial bar, up to the playhead position.
When recording starts in the middle of bar 5 with 4/4 there will be six clicks.
Bar|Beat: 4|1, 4|2, 4|3, 4|4, 5|1, 5|2 ; rec starts at 5|3.

2 Likes

Thank you, it works quite well. Problem solved.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.