Metadata on .wav Exports

Hi Forum,

I’m technically on Mixbus nowadays but I had this same issue with Ardour 5 and it’s starting to bother me a bit. When I export as .ogg or .mp3 (tagged) all my project’s metadata prints to the export file just fine. But with .wav, this is not the case and I have to do it externally. I don’t have an export profile that is specifically labeled as “wav (tagged)”. Is there an option somewhere that I am missing? Or is this an OS problem? (I am on Ubuntu Studio 15.10).

You’re not missing anything. Ardour doesn’t allow to add meta-data wav.

Historically there were various issues with adding RIFF chunks. The resulting .wav may be unplayable in some players and produce issues with others. There are also very few players that support meta-data in wav files to begin with.

That being said, you can hack your way around this. In Ardour’s Export dialog, create a new
export-format. Close the Export-dialog, and then edit the file e.g. ~/.config/ardour5/export/My tagged wav.format using a text editor. Change the following data

<Option name="tag-metadata" value="1"/>
    <Option name="tag-support" value="1"/>

by default they’re “0” (off).

That will add common meta-data as RIFF chunk: Title, Artist, Album, Genre, Year, Track, Comment.

3 Likes

you rock, Robin. Thank you so much.