I have been testing the caps-0.4.2 plugins within ardour2.7.1. There seems to be some problems.
Firstly, on my system (amd64, debian lenny) they did not work at all until I disabled the --ffast-math optimization and rebuilt them.
Secondly, I decided to make an experiment to see which (if any) of the caps plugins would work on my system with --ffast-math enabled by constructing a session with as many mono buses as caps plugins, where each bus had a single unqiue caps plugin (none with stereo inputs were used).
As several of the plugins generate their own sound, I routed these to a new bus to mix them together and from that bus, outputted them to the non-generative fx buses. The fx buses then output to the master bus which used the fast-lookahead limiter.
It all worked, all the buses had sound.
Next, I closed the session and recompiled the plugins with --ffast-math enabled. I reloaded the session.
No buses were audible, but the vu-meters on a couple were showing something there. I tried disabling all the plugins to see what happened: still no sound.
I reloaded the session and IIRC after enabling some of the sound-generating plugins, the sound started - until I enabled the sound of a lorenz attractor which cut all sound out again - effecting ladspa swh fast-lookahead-limiter too.
So I recompiled the plugins without --ffast-math again and reloaded the session, expecting everything to work again… It did not.
Again, going back to disabling all the plugins and then starting to enable them one by one, the lorenz sound cut all sound out, and alternatively, some of the fx plugins had this effect also.
That’s why I think there’s a problem here with plugin initialisation. At the moment I don’t know what further information (if any) you might want so please ask if required.
Despite all the problems I find, I still love this software!