March 1, 2022 Song release made with Ardour

Check out my latest song release “Deep in the Wind” here: Punch-Up Song: Deep in the Wind. Web page details all the software used to make the audio recording (I.E. Ardour plus lv2 plugins).

This is a rock/post-punk song. Arranged as vocals, bass, guitar, drums and synthesizer. The drums are AVL Drumkit (Red Zeppelin) hosted as 9 Ardour midi tracks. Synthesizer is ZynAddSubFX, also hosted as one Ardour midi track.

Mix all done with Ardour. I used the Ardour export preset for youtube, to create an audio master.

A few recording notes: Prior to exporting a master, I reroute the outputs of the midi tracks (drums and synth) to a set of Ardour mono tracks (I.E. 2 mono tracks for the drums, 2 mono tracks for the synth). I route each set of mono tracks to an Ardour stereo bus, hence creating a stereo output for each instrument. I then deactivate the Ardour midi tracks. On my computer, that relieves some of the DSP and CPU load.

I plugged my electric guitar in to a Fender Champion XL50 digital amplifier. That amplifier provides two outputs: speaker and headphone. I used an adapter cable (1/8’’ to XLR) to route the headphone output into my computer’s audio interface. To my surprise, that worked quite well. I added a tiny bit of EQ for the rhythm guitars, the rest of the guitars required no other processing.

Again, my website details all the plugins used with Ardour.

All feedback welcome,
Lorin
punch-up.art

3 Likes