Manny Walters - Anecdotes

I play bass in an electric R&B/garage soul trio with Manny Walters on the song writing, vox and guitar. We tracked vox, guitar, drums and bass concurrently using Ardour. The last track ‘Parables’ was recorded at a different studio and was ready to go prior to this session.

Unfortunately the people behind the publishing have only put it up on Deezer and iTunes. Those links are available from my site: http://www.robsco.info/releases/

I also mixed the first 5 tracks on the record using free software plugins. A lot of help from the Calf series, eq10q, the Invada Studio plugins and a bunch of others I can’t recall of the top of my head.

For the gearheads out there, here’s an incomplete list of recording gear we used on the session:

• EMU1820 PCI soundcard
  • ART Pro MPA-II preamp for the vox and bass DI
  • ART TubeOpto8 preamp via ADAT for the drum mics
  • TUL F47 for the vox
  • TUL G12 for the guitar amp
  • TUL T12 mics for drum overheads

After this session I am confident in Ardour’s ability and to track and mix a record. It was my first large undertaking using a GNU/Linux audio system - I come from a Windows/Ableton background. JACK came to the party in a big way giving us sub 2ms latency so no need for external hardware monitoring. A great thanks to all the developers and users pushing this software and the free software philosophy forward. I look forward to making a lot more music with Ardour.

You can find Manny here:

Very glad you had a good experience. Thanks for the post and the music.