Mac library build: gtk+-2.24.23 fails?

Hello team,

I’ve gone back to square 1 without homebrew or fink, and have most of the libraries built, BUT, with the patched version of gtk±2.24.23 I get the following:

[shell] ./configure --with-gdktarget=quartz --enable-quartz-relocation
config appears to work fine

[shell] make
compiles all the quartz files, then,

libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I… -DG_LOG_DOMAIN="Gdk" -DGDK_COMPILATION -I… -I… -I…/gdk -DG_DISABLE_CAST_CHECKS -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/local/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/local/include/fribidi -I/usr/local/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/local/include/libpng16 -I/usr/local/include/cairo -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/include/libpng16 -I/usr/local/include -DG_DISABLE_SINGLE_INCLUDES -DATK_DISABLE_SINGLE_INCLUDES -DGDK_PIXBUF_DISABLE_SINGLE_INCLUDES -DGTK_DISABLE_SINGLE_INCLUDES -DGDK_PIXBUF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -w -I/opt/local/include -I/usr/local/include -Wno-deprecated -Wall -MT gdk.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/gdk.Tpo -c gdk.c -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/gdk.o

In file included from gdk.c:816:

./gdkaliasdef.c:220:102: error: aliases are not supported on darwin

extern __typeof (gdk_add_option_entries_libgtk_only) gdk_add_option_entries_libgtk_only __attribute((alias(“IA__gdk_add_option_entries_libgtk_only”), visibility(“default”)));

This error repeats many times.

I’m running on a MacStudio M1 Max with MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Can you see anything I’m doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance…

stp

Did you even google the error?

This is what I found

Note that there’s officially no support for compiling Ardour yourself.
You should download the binary from Download Ardour | Ardour Community if you want a working and supported program.

There are several reasons someone might want to build from source, and most of them are fairly positive.

Thanks for pointing them at a suitable resource (and technique) for the problem.

Hi Peder,

Yes, I did spend some time googling the error, but didn’t come up with anything as useful as the link you sent. Many thanks!

Stephen

By the way, the reason I’m building from sources is that I want to add a few extra call-backs for supporting touch-screen input. (See The "ShaleCrow" Project - progress and questions. I started it and then got dragged onto other projects for several years.)
I’m planning to (following Robin’s advice) add an OSC query like “get controllable at screen-pos (x, y)” so that I can map touch-screen input to OSC messages.
stp

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.