Locked Memory and ALSA Backend error

Getting the following problems. Got them in Ardour 7.5.0, and same basic problem in 8.0.

Must be a setting (or settings) wrong. Most likely user error.

Had been working fine for at least year without this issue. Old projects that used to work fine now are having this issue.

(Is there a word for someone who is a noob but is old, maybe a noold?)

I looked through other issues, but couldn’t find one like this.

At startup:
WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory. This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs out of memory.

From the log.

[WARNING]: AlsaAudioBackend: cannot acquire realtime permissions.
[ERROR]: ardour::get_connections: Invalid Port

Thank you!

Please read How do I configure my linux system to allow JACK to use realtime scheduling? | JACK Audio Connection Kit It’s not just for JACK, it’s relevant for any and all realtime audio applications on Linux.

This will not address the [ERROR] but let’s see what happens with that once you configure your system correctly.

Thank you very much for your reply. I am a huge fan of Ardour and I’m trying to help. I realize you’re the author of this fantastic program, and I’m sure you have millions of other things to do, so I appreciate your help.

I tried to follow the ticket you linked me to, but (a) I’m a noob, and (b) because of (a), I don’t know what to do from here.

Under /etc/security/limits.d, is the file
audio.conf.disabled (whose listing is below). Is this what is supposed to be in the file? The “.disabled” doesn’t sound promising.

Provided by the jackd package.

Changes to this file will be preserved.

If you want to enable/disable realtime permissions, run

dpkg-reconfigure -p high jackd

@audio - rtprio 95
@audio - memlock unlimited
#@audio - nice -19

I followed the directions in the link, rebooted and got:

2023-10-17T20:09:48 [INFO]: AlsaAudioBackend: adjusted output channel count to match device.
2023-10-17T20:09:48 [INFO]: AlsaAudioBackend: adjusted input channel count to match device.
2023-10-17T20:09:48 [WARNING]: AlsaAudioBackend: cannot acquire realtime permissions.

Also, while trying to see if I could make any other progress (i.e shooting in the dark), I found another very similar issue tracked in Mantis: [0008911]. I get very similar results in the Ardour - log messages as reported in that issue. Only difference is the havid version, and my specific directory structure on my machine.

The last time that issue was updated was 2023-04-22 20:13 and it’s not resolved. Should I add my Ardour log to that issue?

Thanks for your help!

What distro are you using? The configuration file’s location can vary depending on the distro. After the configuration file is setup, you also have to add your username to the audio group.

Delete the “.disabled” from the file name by renaming it so it is just “/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf”. Double check that your user is in the audio group, then log out and back in or reboot.

That looks correct.

Thanks very much! It now works based on what you wrote. I also saw this in the Ardour manual last night and just now tried it, and it worked as expected. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Linux Mint 21.1

As predicted, “Must be a setting (or settings) wrong. Most likely user error.”

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.