List of VSTs that work almost flawlessy with ArdourVST

Hi, I just had this insane idea of creating a post to list all VSTs that work flawlessy (more or less) with ArdourVST, according to users experiences.

Personally, I managed to do almost everything I need with the amazing linuxdsp LV2 plugins, but since I’m setting up a professional recording studio, I’d like to fullfill at the least a few of the many requests I could get, for example Antares Autotune is something that a lot of people request. And of course, reliability is the most important “feature”.

I could be the first to start the list, but currently I’m not using ArdourVST :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I use XNL Audio Addictive Drums with FST everyday, and it works with no problems at all, never had a crash in 1 year of use. Being Ardour VST support based on FST (isn’t it?), I guess that Addictive Drums would work flawlessy in Ardour as well.
I can say the same things of Spectrasonics Trilogy. All with Ubuntu 9.10, Wine 1.0, FST and Ardour 2.8.5 built from source…

There used to be a site that listed working stuff here:

http://ladspavst.linuxaudio.org/vst/list

But it seems a little broken at them moment - although I think it should be fixed soon. While I completely understand the need for some VSTs (and I’m glad my linuxDSP plugins are working well for you) I feel duty bound (as a linux plugin developer :slight_smile: to point out that while it is possible to get VSTs working on linux (and I have hundreds that worked at one time or another - and this is the point…) What works today may not work tomorrow, I even spent a long time developing a VST host application but have temporarily abandoned it due to problems with WINE regressions. WINE is an amazing project, but it seems that each new release re-arranges the bugs a little, and you can never be completely certain that a VST that loads will always work - I had a few that went through ‘phases’ of not running, and then would be fine for weeks… But its not something you want a project - or a critical session - to depend on necessarily. I guess the point I’m trying to make is that, incredible though it is that you ‘can’ use plugins built for a completely different OS its very difficult to come up with a definitive list of what works and what doesn’t - for the reasons I’ve given. Maybe you need to assign each VST a ‘probability score’ :slight_smile: based on the time of day, phase of the moon, prevailing wind direction etc…

you are right, but maybe since wine 1.0 the situation has changed a bit, cause most distros seem to include in every release, and it could be used as a stable base for a such a list…