Linux DSP Reverb

Are the Linux DSP plugins available for insertion into a post-fade bus for sending into headphone mixes and the Master prior to overall mixing? I have a very simple set-up: 2 guitar mics and a single vocal, running through a Presonus FP10, using AVLinux. However, when I select the post-fader section of a bus to insert the plug-in, the only list that appears is the LADSPA, not the DSP stereo reverb. It’s installed and I can bring it up, but am I missing something to be able to use it on a given bus? Or is it only available for post-recording mixing?

Thank you!

kvk

LinuxDSP plugins are not actual plugins. They are Jack clients, in other words software like Ardour and must be launched on their own. You can then utilize an insert(Not a plugin) or a send post fader to get audio to and if desired from the LinuxDSP software. Since they are Jack clients, audio can of course be routed into and out of them between any other jack client or the hardware Jack is connected to, so yes what oyu want to do is completely possible.

Seablade

Most excellent, Seablade- thank’s so much! I have the DSP stereo reverb launched, and can insert it pre/post fader on the instrument and/or vocal busses.

I am a wee bit confused, however- if I am calling the DSP insert, am I connecting the bus out to the DSP in, or the other way around? At this point I can’t seem to call tings in the correct order to actually produce the effect in the headphone mix.

Well, obviously I’m missing something somewhere. :-p

Track 1 (Guitar) out -> Guitar Bus In
Track 2 (Guitar) out -> Guitar Bus In
Track 3 (Vocal) out -> Vocal Bus In

Guitar Bus Pre-Fader: SEND -> Reverb In (DSP Stereo Reverb SR:2A)
Vocal Bus Pre-Fader: SEND -> Reverb In (DSP Stereo Reverb SR:2A)

Guitar Bus Post-Fader: Insert -> Reverb Out
Vocal Bus Post-Fader: Insert -> Reverb Out

<< NOTE: All sends and insert activated >>

Guitar Bus Output: Headphone Bus(1/2), Master In (1/2)
Vocal Bus Output: Headphone Bus(1/2), Master In (1/2)

I’ve tried any number of other structures, including simply routing the track outputs to the reverb and then setting the reverb output as the bus input, but to no effect.

Thanks!

Well a couple of things, first and foremost, any send or insert must be ACTIVATEd before it will be used;) To make sure it is activated, right click on the send or insert, and select activate. If there are parenthesis around the insert or send in the display, it is not activated. EDIT: Just noticed you clarified this later, but good to have common anyways so I will leave this in for others;)

Secondly, I think there is confusion in your terminology. A Send in audio consists of audio flowing in one direction, being SENT from one device to another. An Insert consists of audio flowing in TWO directions, It is being SENT to the device, and RETURNed from the device. So in all honesty, you should only be using the insert if you want the audio to come back to the bus.

So to modify what you have…

Track 1 (Guitar) out -> Guitar Bus In Track 2 (Guitar) out -> Guitar Bus In Track 3 (Vocal) out -> Vocal Bus In

Guitar Bus Post-Fader: Insert Send 1 -> Reverb In
Vocal Bus Post-Fader: Insert Send 2 -> Reverb In

Guitar Bus Post-Fader: Reverb Out -> Insert Return 1
Vocal Bus Post-Fader: Reverb Out -> Insert Return 2

<< NOTE: All sends and insert activated >>

Guitar Bus Output: Headphone Bus(1/2), Master In (1/2)
Vocal Bus Output: Headphone Bus(1/2), Master In (1/2)

You could also do this by using SENDs on the tracks to the reverb and then routing the reverb wet signal only into its own bus to control Wet/Dry mix easily from within Ardour, if you really wish I can give a basic rundown on that as well, as it would probably be how I would do it personally.

Seablade

Thanks, Seablade- I’d really appreciate seeing that procedure!

I’ve been wrestling with Ubuntu Studio for close to a year now, but recently installed AVLinux, which is a completely different and (for me at least) a much easier experience. (Currently at 2 hours running JACK at 128 frames, 2 periods/buffer, firewire interface without a single Xrun). If I can just get these fundamentals down (including sound in my headphones during playback- weird that it’s not there), I can finally get caught up on my recording backlog.

Thanks for all the help!

kvk