Line delay / time alignment plugin [solved]

hi there, is there anything like a time alignment plugin in lv2 or linuxvst?

This is like a delay line plugin in the micro seconds regime? I m looking for that to simulate a pan effect… thanks!

I found it!

It s called Delay compensator from lsp plugins, and works great :wink:

EDIT:

though this is solved, if someone wants to share experiences:

Is anybody using delay compensation instead of traditional panning for productions ?

how would you set up a plugin like the lsp for a more regular use?

The technique i know is: putting a sample delay for example one the left side of a stereo delay to pan towards left and the same goes for the right side…

would be great having a plugin pan-nob plugin doing that (guess this already exists as a plugin maybe…? ) for easier control…

You not only need to add relative delays but also attenuate the signal. In general this only works correctly for A-B or ORFT mic’ed signals that you can “rotate” to some degree. Otherwise you’ll only introduce a comb-filter. There was an experimental panner feature (https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/pull/63), but that was never completed.

Ha, thanks for the insights and for the read! I naively thought this would also work with a mono track doubled(panned l and r) and then basically creating “A/B stereo” in the stereo loudspeaker setup by applying the delay to one channel… I did a quick and dirty test with the lsp plugin and it seems to work somehow and feels like a semi psychoacoustical effect… this might be the comp filtering you talked about :wink:

too bad it was never completed would be great to choose between different panners for different projects.

It can work very well if you listen to it via headphone.

Humans usually expect one comb-filter due to reflections, but only one, either the recording space or the playback space.

I ´ve heard live sound mixers use that technique as well occasionally for huge concerts to pan for example a guitar out of the middle, because it has a much wider “sweet spot” than the intensity based stereophonic effect. Therefore I imagined this could also be useful for film scores for example, where you have a large audience and a lot of people not sitting in the sweet spot… especially for non surround mixes.