l'Amour à la plage - cover rock track

Hello
Here’s a new track, cover of l’Amour à la plage (Niagara) :slightly_smiling_face:

Made with Ardour 7.3 and some plugins :
1 * LV2 GxFlanger (by Guitarix team)
1 * LV2 x42-dpl - Digital Peak Limiter Mono (by Robin Gareus)
3 * LV2 GxChorus-Stereo (by Guitarix team)
6 * VST2 Gatelope (by airwindows)
28 * Lua ACE High/Low Pass Filter (by Ardour Community)
1 * VST2 BassKit (by airwindows)
1 * LV2 ACE Compressor (stereo) (by Ardour Community)
12 * Lua ACE Notch Bank (by Ardour Community)
2 * LV2 GxCabinet (by Guitarix team)
8 * VST3 Dragonfly Hall Reverb (by Michael Willis and Rob vd Berg)
2 * VST2 DeBess (by airwindows)
1 * LV2 x42-dpl - Digital Peak Limiter Stereo (by Robin Gareus)
1 * LV2 Diode Processor (by Steve Harris)
1 * LV2 VU Meter (Mono) (by Robin Gareus)
1 * LV2 DrumGizmo (by DrumGizmo Team)
1 * LV2 Calf Bass Enhancer (by Calf Studio Gear)
6 * LV2 ACE Compressor (by Ardour Community)
1 * LV2 Stereo Balance Control (by Robin Gareus)
19 * LV2 x42-eq - Parametric Equalizer Stereo (by Robin Gareus)
3 * LV2 ACE Delay (by Ardour Community)
6 * LV2 x42-comp - Dynamic Compressor Stereo (by Robin Gareus)
5 * LV2 ACE Expander (stereo) (by Ardour Community)

And DRSKit as Drumkit for DrumGizmo

Feel free to comment :wink:
Bye

Nice job, though I haven’t heard the original. I like the guitar tone and bass. I’m guessing it’s a live bass? - all my bass and drums are sequenced. Followed you on SC. Cheers

Thanks nSpud3 :slight_smile:

The original is pretty far away from my version (this is a pop 80’s song )

For the guitar and bass track, I used for the first time GXCabinet and Notch Bank plugins, I think this help a lot for both :wink:

And yes, this is a real bass, recorded directly without pedal, with added plugins. This is real guitar with pedal effects and then plugins, and drums are sequenced, with plugins.

“If you already play the guitar in your rock music track, you should try playing the real bass too” : that’s what Unfa told me when I was trying to simulate bass with octave-1 guitar :joy:
So my brother lend me one and I used it : it’s ok for me as long as bass melodies are simple enough :smile:

Bye

Well if unfa said it - I’m looking for a new bass :fish:
I have the ultimate respect for that bloke - he showed me that doing it this way was not only feasible but … well you’re here so you already know :smiley:
I had a Chinese bass I got off ebay for $80 but the neck cracked a while back. Yeah I tried the “Bass” preset on Rakarrack but the latency is a killer.

1 Like

Here is the original: Niagara - L'Amour à la Plage (Clip Officiel Remasterisé) - YouTube
Makes me feel old … (I grew up in France, I remember when this song came out).

@sebpcspkr The mix seems to miss some bass and the guitars are a little too domineering to my taste. Also, most important: can barely hear the “aouh, tchatchatcha” !! bring them to the front, man! :smiley:

But overall, it’s an interesting take of an iconic French popsong of the pop music golden age! In the same vain, many years ago, I had a fun time making rock versions of some Depeche Mode songs, also from the 80’s. I lost those recordings though but I still remember my “Stripped” cover which sounded very much like an early 70’s rock song. I used to play it in Bm instead of Dm, it felt easier on the guitar / bass that way.

Nice. I’d turn up the bass, too, but leave the guitars nice and loud.

Thanks @djamo and @DonJaime :smiley:

Finding the right balancing is something very subtle, I’ll keep your comments in mind for my next tracks

I can send you the session to remix it your own way - I’m interested, if you have a little time. If you’re interested, send me a dm :wink:

1 Like

Interested, as i can hear where i’d improve the mix !

Nice @baptiste :smile:

Here the session : WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free (for 7 days)

1 Like