Keybind to pause playback without return when auto return is on

Most of the time I want my playhead to return where I started playback when I stop, so I have “Auto Return” enabled. However when I’m editing voiceovers I switch between relistening to a single few second section over and over and listening to long stretches of audio to find my next cut a lot, and forgetting to toggle off “Auto Return” and getting sent several minutes backwards in the timeline is frustrating.

Instead needing to toggle “Auto Return” off it would be more intuitive to also be able to press Ctrl+Space or Shift+Space to stop playback without returning the playhead where it started even with “Auto Return” enabled.

Like this:
Auto Return: off
press space
playback starts
press space
playback stops, playhead doesn’t return
press space
playback starts
press ctrl+space
playback stops and playhead returns
(this already works as a side effect of the “Stop and Forget Capture” function)

Auto Return: on
press space
playback starts
press space
playback stops and playhead returns
press space
playback starts
press ctrl+space
playback stops, playhead doesn’t return

Ctrl+Space to stop playback without returning the playhead is the default behaviour in Reaper and Fruity Loops. It would be nice to have as a possibility in Ardour as well.

1 Like

Hello Sandelinos,

it is an idea that seems very pleasant and is a worker’s ease.

With the number “7” on the keyboard you switch autoreturn on and off. Use the “Home and End” keys to switch to the beginning and end of a project. Stop the playback process with the “TAB” key. At the moment you only have the option to press the 7 or the autoreturn button to achieve the desired achievement.

I’m not a programmer. But maybe a LUA script will help. If you can create something like this.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.