Just ordered my first firepod :)

Hey guys. I just ordered my first firepod (FP10), and I was wondering if there is anything special I need to do to my system (heavily modified Kubuntu Jaunty running the 2.6.31-rc7 kernel to get it working with Jack and Ardour. I thought it would just work if I plugged it in, but I have never used the firewire port on my laptop (inspiron 1520) before. Any special packages (I already installed the FFADO drivers from adept) I should install or any commands I should run before I use it to make it work (sorry if this is a stupid question)? Also, can I daisy chain my FP10 together with another one to get more inputs in Jack? Wasn’t sure how it worked in Jack…
Thanks Again!

I own a firepod too, and I´ve heard success story´s about chaining more together. you need to set your permissions right (/dev/raw1394) and /etc/security/limits.conf. There´s plenty of information about how to configure it.

On a good configuration, you can get jack running with these settings:

/usr/bin/jackd -R -P73 -dfreebob -dhw:0 -r88200 -p128 -n2 -D -I442 -O442

and even with 64 samples buffer size. This is ridiculously low…

Thank you very much for that info roaldz! Also, where can I find more information on configuring it for the settings you list above and for daisy chaining?

Thanks again,

I don´t know about daisy chaining, but it should be easy to find…?