Jack

Why Ardour needs that stupid jack connection? It’s very bad solution and unprofessional.Other DAWs can connect to soundcard by choosing the audio driver inside and everything works fine.Please make ardour connecting directly.Thanks

MIDI is in version 3. You can compile the development version now and use the MIDI features.

you obviously haven’t seen what jack allows. also, other daws don’t use the driver direct, they just hide that part from you.

Jack is the application that makes studio recording MORE PROFESSIONAL than other means… please, do yourself a good favor and fire up your web browser and try to investigate why Jack is used and also why a lot of “professional” studio producers and engineers make the switch to such a crappy and “unprofessional” solution.

Hi Funkyman,

as an user since 20 years of work in audio business, when i discover JACK i met what i have dream for years… a single appli able to interconnect everything to anywhere. in fact the virtual brother of an hardware patchbay, and in a professionnal studio, you always have a patchbay, and the first thing you learn and do when you start this work (after you have made coffee for everyone))) is to patch how the engineer tells you… i don’t know if my english is good enough to describe my thoughts, but it’s really a good good good device… take some time to discover what you can do with it, and you’ll see what i means !

welcome in linux, keep on groovin man !!

LMMS doesn´t use jack and works well.

LMMS is totally different. It’s more of a loopy kind of application, it’s good but just different. Ardour is a DAW for professional studio recording and production use.

and how do you propose to record the output of lmms ? or use it to record/process the audio generated by another program?

It is quite clear that you have not made a professional recording in Linux Yet. The ones of us that do, love jack to bits!

Why Ardour needs that stupid jack connection?
It’s very bad solution [sic] and unprofessional. Other DAWs can connect to soundcard by choosing the audio driver inside and everything works fine.Please make ardour connecting directly.Thanks

I highlighted key words of yours that do not describe ardour and jack but your attitude toward something new (to you) that you don’t understand. Grow up.

that’s the reason there are some many apps out there - choose what you want to use based on its features. At this forum, we like ardour and jack because of their power and flexibility, but we don’t go to forums for other programs and complain that the way the program is set up is stupid because we don’t like it.

Grow up

funkyman, please try traverso (http://traverso-daw.org). It’s a DAW that can use pure ALSA as backend.
You obviously lose some of the great flexibility that jack offers but at least you don’t have to bother with it.

(thorgal and hogiewan: do I need to add a “Grow up” as well? Has that become mandatory? Oh well, just in case…)

Grow up =]

(Remember guys [including you, funkyman] that linux is about choice and evolution and what seems good and right today might be ludacrious and dead wrong tomorrow, just like George W Bush eight years ago… Hmm, sorry bad analogy; to us with half a brain he didn’t seem good even back then… :wink:

Ha! I didn’t even see thorgal’s post

Thank you for advice.But I’m looking for DAW with full midi implementation because I use VSTi instruments in my recording.I’m using Sonar 8 now and it’s very cool DAW.I think Ardour is very good DAW but without midi.And what about development: it’s on the good way.LMMS is good too,but without possibility to record audio track.

I compiled version 3 and I could almost use the midi features. Not rock stable yet - I am going to wait for the release candidates.