Jack Server

Hi,

I can t configure jack server ¿Could I install ardour without it?

but i can use hydrogen and record it with Ardour, right?
No need to be so condescending. i donated hard earned money
for your software, sir… Oh, and I’m using a mac.

but i can use hydrogen and record it with Ardour, right?

Yes.

No need to be so condescending. i donated hard earned money for your software, sir... Oh, and I'm using a mac.

That wasn’t condescending, it was pointing out, rather nicely actually, that you actually were thread hijacking and as a result people that look at thread titles to know what a thread is about, and might be available to answer your questions, won’t have any clue that your posts are here. It is common behavior in just about any forum to start a new thread when your topic has little to nothing to do with the OP.

Seablade

sorry. i am not familiar with the etiquette…
thank you for the info.

thank you so much for the help. i was just reading about this stuff online before and thought since i have this new computer i would try something new with it. i am familiar with non linear editing software but i am in another country with this shit so i want to start slow and wanna learn everything right. I guess what i am trying to say is that i want to learn to make a beat. this program looks really cool but its not doing anything. what are basics? where are the instruments? mainly the drums… for now i just want to do something crazy simple, like boom boom bap (repeat). thanks…

where are the instruments? mainly the drums... for now i just want to do something crazy simple, like boom boom bap (repeat). thanks...

Ardour 2 does not support virtual instruments. Ardour 2 is primarily for recording, editing, mixing, and exporting.

Ardour 3 will support MIDI for use with virutal instruments, but will not have them built in, you will want to have plugins to provide them. Before it is asked, no Ardour 3 is not released nor is it ready to be tested yet.

Seablade

@phlar: non-linear editing and multitrack recording have more or less nothing to do with software instruments.

If you want those capabilities, Ardour is a good program to have around. For software instruments on Linux, your choices are significantly more limited. I suggested starting with Hydrogen (a drum machine/synth) and LinuxSampler (a soffware sample engine that can use several proprietary and open sample library formats). Others might have other recommendations.

this also has nothing to do with the title of this thread.

Hi phlar,

Can you try installing the OS X version of Jack from here:

http://www.jackosx.com/

The ardour on OS X documentation is here:

http://ardour.org/first_time_osx_native

Nick

im using a mac.

No, Jack is a elementary part of ardour.

What’s your problem with the jack configuration?

hi,
sorry, why can’t we delete wrong posts ? :frowning:

I am a total newb.I am having trouble installing jack. i downloaded it. now what? do i restart my computer or what? lost. please help.

You really shoud install it through the package manager in your distro. Also make sure you install the graphical frontend QJackCtl.

i have no idea what you speak of. when i downloaded the program i got a folder that says "jack - audio - connection-kit-0.116.2 ". what do i do from there? keep simple, as if you were talking to a child… thank you.

Which linux distibution are you using? Ubuntu? Fedora? Suse?

Usually you don’t have to download anything manually, averything should be done by the package manager…

Hi beowuf666,

Jack Server was install before Ardour and it send configuration errors but I installed Ardour and it solve problem.

Thanks