Issues Building Ardour 3 on Fedora 10

I’m trying to build the Ardour 3 branch from SVN, but the libsndfile packages are outdated. I tried to install version 1.0.19 from the developer’s website, and it seemed to compile properly, but scons still fails to find an updated libsndfile.

I’ve been using Linux for about a year now, and I love it, but it’s hard as hell for me to understand a lot of things like compiling. I’d try to troubleshoot this, but I just have no idea how it works. Is supposed to install the library as well as the source code? Does it override my “official” version that’s already installed? Am I supposed to specify a place to install libsndfile?

Sorry I’m such a n00b. : / Any help would be greatly appreciated though, Rosegarden is driving me nuts!

Assuming you have installed libsndfile to the default location, /usr/local : as root, do a ‘echo /usr/local/lib > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf ; ldconfig; export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig’ prior to running scons.

The first thing (before the ; ) tells the system to use any files found in /usr/local/lib, the second updates the ld-cache further, the third makes sure the build system can get the info it may ask for.

Thanks! That resolved the issue. However, now it’s telling me I need the SVN version of SLV2. I can’t seem to find a link to their repository anywhere. Anyone have a link?

If you’ve only been using Linux for a year, you are absolutely not the current target audience for Ardour3. This program is unstable, hard to build, and changes very rapidly (when it changes). Please do not think that you are helping yourself by testing out “the MIDI version”. Its not ready for you (yet).

Try going to your source code directory and typing this:

svn co http://svn.drobilla.net/lad/trunk/slv2/ slv2

…and what Paul said.