Is there any way to make horizontal scroll work on windows?

I use a mouse that has horizontal scrolling and it’s a significant part of my work flow. Horizontal scroll works on Linux but unfortunately I have too many projects that use software that’s only available on windows to go full time Linux. Every other program I use is horizontal scroll capable so when I switch to Ardour and it doesn’t work it’s a real annoyance. Often I use inferior software just so I can use my horizontal scroll mouse. I end up not using Ardour at all for months at a time just out of frustration around this tiny issue. If it wasn’t for this Ardour would be my number one goto audio software. Help!

Not sure what your question is. I use the hscroll wheel on my mouse with Ardour every day. No issues. I do use Linux, but I am not aware of any Windows-specific issues with h-scrolling.

Are you talking about Vertical scroll (up and down) I’m talking about horizontal scroll (side to side) witch is exceptional useful for any program with a horizontal timeline. Side scroll works for me in every other audio, graphics and video software I use. (and works with Ardour in Linux)

I am talking about horizontal scroll.

I’ve tried it on 3 different computers and 2 different versions of windows. Like I said it works as I would expect in Linux but does nothing on windows with Ardour. I only have one side scroll capable mouse, maybe it hardware related???

We’ll have to wait for another Windows user to weigh in. There’s nothing in our code that would affect this on Windows only.

Ardour Windows user here.

Side scroll works. I don’T have a horizontal scroll mouse but use the shift(? - not sure here because of muscle memory not thinking about it anymore) + scroll.

So i guess it might be a hardware issue.

That method works for me too. I do have a horizontal scroll mouse and it opens up a lot of one handed actions when it works. I’m doubting it’s hardware related because the horizontal scroll feature works in Reason, Audacity, Gimp, Inkscape, Shotcut, Firefox as well as the window file manager.

For most laptops (trackpad, trackpoint) middle-mouse X/Y scroll is done in hardware (really firmware). Though some applications (gimp, audacity) implement it for users who can’t change their system’s mouse settings.

Just tested here on Windows and indeed the horizontal scroll doesn’t work.

I’m using the Logitech MX Ergo Trackball.

Do you also have another OS installed? If so, does it work with the Trackball on GNU/Linux?

There is code in Ardour’s editor that handles left/right scroll.

I just had a quick look at gdk as well, and the gdk windows code matches Microsoft’s documentation for horizontal scroll. So it should just work™.

PS. It seems to be an issue with the Logitech Trackball. You need to configure it to send left/right scroll events (on Windows: download Logitech Options or X-Mouse).

see also PreSonus Forums | SOLVED - Trackball mouse no side scroll? | Studio One Forum Community Support

Works fine on Debian Testing. I use it all the time.

I’ll give it a go, although the OP says it works for them in other apps.

I couldn’t get it to work with X-Mouse and it doesn’t work for me in GIMP either. However I’m using a VM so the device isn’t directly connected to the system so that could explain why it’s not working for me.

This isn’t working for me with a Logitech MX Master 3 either, while shift+scroll does. Just tested in the GIMP (an older version, v. 2.10.36) and the sidescroll works in that. I’m currently using an older Mixbus version rather than the latest Ardour though, so not definite confirmation.

I got horizontal scrolling working with Autohotkey:

#If WinActive("ahk_exe Ardour.exe")
WheelRight::Send {ShiftDown}{WheelDown}{ShiftUp} 
WheelLeft::Send {ShiftDown}{WheelUp}{ShiftUp}
#If

I also use AHK to map the “forward” and “back” buttons on the mouse to q and w (to navigate marks), and to send OCR messages to control the monitor section output level with the the volume up/down media keys on my keyboard.

I’d be happy to share the extras if anyone is interested!

Just checked with Spy++ and WM_MOUSEHWHEEL events are definitely being sent to the gdkWindowToplevel. With comparison to vertical scroll there are significantly fewer WM_NCHITTEST events, although I’m not sure that’s actually relevant.

The suggestion by @blakegardner above obviously works and is probably the easiest workaround.

Just checked in a current version of Ardour. Sidescroll works fine on a Logitech MX Master 3 using the Logi Options drivers, so I think this might have been an issue with VMs and/or the logitech trackball configuration.