Installing 64 bit version but have 32 bit version already

I installed the 32 bit version initially, but found that the 64 bit version utilizes RAM more efficiently.
Should I install Ardour 64 bit over 32 bit, or uninstall the 32 bit version first and then install the 64 bit version?

When you install the new version, it will ask you about uninstalling the other version. Just say yes.

Will I lose any work I’ve done?

No, you won’t. The session-format is independent.

You can even move session from, say, 32bit Windows to 64bit Linux to MacOSX and to 64bit Windows etc… without issues – except for plugins.

Keep in mind that 64bit version only loads 64bit VSTs, so if you’ve used a lot of VST plugins they may be missing if you don’t have the 64bit equivalent of the 32bit VST – but Ardour will still remember the plugin state, though.

PS. That being said, making backups of important work is always good practice.

Cool. I was expecting to get new 64 bit VSTs and made a list of my favorites before the re-install. Thank you very much. You guys have been very helpful.

There should be no need for this. The preferences are shared between 32/64bit versions of Ardour. 32/64bit VSTs usually have the same ID, so Ardour can remember them (they’re saved in %localappdata%\ardour5\).

That depends on the plug-in(s).

Hi,

How can I know witch version of Ardor I have installed ?
I am on Ubuntu studio.
I downloaded the 64bits version, installed it but when I save a project is say on its name it’s a 32 bits floating … ??
Thanks.

The format of the audio files created by Ardour has nothing to with whether it is a 32 bit or 64 bit version. It’s a user choice (though there is not 64-bit file format), and 32 bit float is the default (and a good one too).

The “About” dialog will tell you more about the version you have.

Ok. I understand now.
Thank you very much !!

Regards.