inputs and outputs on m-audio 2496

I’m assuming that the 2496 uses the same chip as the 1010LT so in JACK I get 12 ins and 10 outs even though there are physically only 2 & 2. When I try to start JACK with 2 ins & outs in Cadence or QJackctl, JACK won’t start. I’ve tried this on a few distros. (KX, Arch, & Gentoo). Is it possible to start JACK with 2 ins & outs for this card? If Ardour is set to automatically connect new tracks it cycles through the 12 ins. Is it possible for Ardour to choose the same inputs in a given session?1 & 2 or Guitarix for instance. The procedure right now is to not let Ardour auto-connect. Am I missing something simple? NOt a big deal though. I probably spent more time writing this post than I have spent connecting & dissconnecting tracks in the last month.
Craig

Right.I already have it set to not auto-connect so that I don’t have to dissconnect inputs every time I create a track.

It shows up 2 ins and 8 outs in mudita but in JACK and ardour there are 12 ins and 10 outs . I think both cards use the same chip but the physical connections are not all available on the 2496.
I was wondering though why jack would not start when I set the ins and outs to 2

I see that if I try to start Jack from the terminal with -i2 it says “ALSA: cannot set channel count to 2 for capture”
Same for any number less than 12. I suppose there’s probably no way to do that.

sounds like a bug somehwere

I was able to find this

"Release Notes:
M-Audio uses a 3rd Party Vendor for Unix support. 4Front Technologies
develops and supports UNIX drivers for the Revolution and Delta Series of Products. The software is available for free evaluation and non-profit use but 4Front charges a fee for technical support and commercial use. They can be found at the following web address:

http://www.opensound.com"

this isnt really an ardour problem though hopefully someone here will shed some light

@veda_sticks: I think you are refering to an OSS sound driver, which is most likely not what anyone should be using with JACK - certainly for this card. If the card uses the same chipset as the 1010(LT) (which I think it does) then I’m reasonably sure that the way JACK needs to operate, coupled with the chipset design means you won’t be able to configure for just 2 ins and outs - you have to configure for all the available (12 / 10) ports on the chipset (even if they aren’t physically made available on the interface) and then route Ardour to the appropriate JACK ports corresponding to whichever physical connections are available (there may be some hideous ALSA config hack possible - but I’m not sure, neither would I recommend it)

I found this info about the 2496 on the Ubuntu Forums posted by Raum Trug.
"as said above, input 1 & 2 are the analog inputs, output 1 & 2 the “main” pcm channels played back, 9 & 10 the s/pdif equivalents.

however, when you activate “Digital Mix L/R” in the “Patchbay/Router” tab in envy24control, you can do some more fancy stuff, like mixing multiple pcm sources in hardware (though jack alone is enough to do it in software): in jack output1 - output8 are then the 8 “pcm” channels in the “Monitor PCMs” tab and can be mixed/panned there - very useful because of the nice meters in envy24control!

also “Monitor Inputs” will let you then zero-latency monitor the inputs (without connecting them in Jack, or you’ll get doubled up sound!), just mix them in like the pcm’s.

finally capture_11 & capture_12 let you record what’s on the hardware mixer - just don’t ever connect those to any output, will give nasty feedback!!! recording also works while output in envy24ctrl is set to pcm or whatever."

ah,

craigpid sounds like he has it sussed, i forgot about the interfaces hardware mixer