Inputs 1 & 2 lost in ardour [solved]

Config :
Ardour 6.9.0~ds0 “After Bach” (rev 6.9.0~ds0-1build1)
Intel 64 bits
Distro Ubuntu Studio 22.04
Sound Card : UMC404HD

Hi
I recently have a problem when recording : signals from my sound card output ports 1 & 2 are not received in ardour. (system.capture_1 and system.capture_2 showing no input signals)

I already checked with a live Ubuntu-Studio session on this computer and all inputs are well received by ardour in Ubuntu-Studio live session. So it is not a material default.

The pb seems coming from my istalled ardour configuration.
My question : Is there a way to reset ports assignments and settings to default in ardour ?

Thanks for your answers, best musical wishes to you all. :pray: :crossed_fingers: :slightly_smiling_face:

So the inputs show (Window > Recorder) shows the inputs, but they are silent?

If so check perhaps the hardware mixer of the device. In a terminal window run alsamixer. <F6> to select the soundcard, <F4> to show inputs, and check levels and enable.

1 Like

Hello Robin,
Thank you very much for your fast answer and good detailed advice, for a reason I still don’t know alsamixer shown one output of the sound card was set to zero.(Output Front in my case)
I only had to increase this parameter and could record again on the track 1 and 2.

You geek guy ! … :clap: :+1: :pray:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ROBIN ! … Wish you a great summer ! :crossed_fingers: :slightly_smiling_face:

When Linux shuts down, the mixer settings of all devices are saved (usually to /var/lib/alsa/asound.state, and on [re]boot those are restored for devices present in the system.

However this is not possible when hot-plugging USB devices. When disconnecting a device it’s too late to save the settings and also initially the state is unknown.

I guess you may have booted with the device present and that caused the mixer to be reset.
You can try to manually force a save sudo alsactl store.

1 Like

One again many thanks for this interesting explanation Robin. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:
So yes, my pb certainly came from hot un-pluging my sound card.

By the way I visited your website, very impressive job you do !.. Congratulations ! :+1: :clap:
Would you know if there is somewhere an actualized list of dedicated devices that working with ardour embeded ? or supporting to install on it ? … I would be very interested in buying a dedicated ardour workstation as soon my budget will allow it. :pray: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:
(Portable solution would actually perfectly fits my needs)

1 Like

There is no simple answer to that (short of saying buy a MacBook M1).

Some clues are found at The Ardour Manual - The Right Computer System for Digital Audio - but I suggest to start a forum thread here when the time comes and ask around what other use.

Thinkpads in general are a good choice, and if you’re on a budget you might get some cheap 2nd hand from refurbed.de refurbed.fr or similar sites.

1 Like

Yes, right, I asked because I remember seeing 3 or 4 years ago a presentation of a small console with ardour embedded … I though it can be more devices available nowadays … :crossed_fingers:

I will search a bit more for this type of device and probably create a new thread dedicated to this request. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you Robin, wish you the best. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.