In region pitch automation

I would love to have in region pitch automation where i could automate the pitch of an audio region and the waveform would represent that change. I think this could be helpfull for making lofi-style music and especially experimental sound design.
Kind of a “timestretching lite”. Probably it would still be very hard to implement. Just wanted to drop this here anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can probably achieve this now using region fx and dropping in your favourite pitch shifter.

Pitch shifter does not exactly do what i want. I want to automate the playback speed of the region. Not changing the pitch. Maybe i should have made that clear. :sweat_smile:

then change the tempo, make a ramp or several as needed, of course if by chance you then would like it at a different pitch than the resulting one you may add an ad hoc pitch shift touch on it :wink:

1 Like

Changing the tempo of what? I want to automate the playback speed of an audio region. Changing the tempo does not change that. What do you mean with ramps? Ramping between different bpms?

OK, I reckon I didn’t understand what you want, and still doesn’t :smiley:

Changing the tempo doesn’t affect the playback speed of audio, also, if it did, it would affect all regions in that section of the timeline. The OP only wants to affect specific regions.

@erojahn There are rate shifter effects that you can apply to the region. I just tried it with the rate shifter from Steve Harris and it works nicely, I don’t see a way to automate it though, but I seem to recall seeing that was possible somewhere.

You could use the upcoming regionfx to get a similar workflow to your idea.

Two plugin choices come to mind:

PRO:
Melodyne vst3 plugin (If you are on Linux, you can use a bridge, however some have commented that they couldn’t get it to register, others (me) got it working. Be warned.)

FREE:
MxTune https://github.com/liuanlin-mx/MXTune/releases

Despite the thread title, he doesn’t want to change the pitch, he wants to change the speed

Actually, both those plugins will allow very intricate speed changes, both individual notes and phrases. Might be overkill, I suppose.

1 Like