Import midi drums.. plays piano?

Hi All…

Have a bunch of midi drum patterns to play with and most of the time, when I go to import them they preview with General Midi using one of the built in kits… But some of the midi tracks are outputting as piano, which is the 1st instrument in GM… Have been playing around with the import page (called ‘Add Existing Media’) but can find no method to make GM preview the midi track with a drum kit…

Is there a way to do this? Or maybe another Midi Instrument I can choose that has a kit pre-loaded?

General MIDI drums should be sent on MIDI channel 10. I am thinking some of your files are not sending MIDI on channel 10. I don’t think you can fix that in preview.

There are multiple ways to fix this once imported into Ardour. You can use one of x42’s free MIDI filter plug ins called ‘MIDI Channel Map’

Or you can use Ardour’s MIDI transform tool:

Thanks Schmitty2005, but I think maybe I have not explained this well enough… I have no problem importing midi, no problem playing midi, it is just the preview that I am struggling with.

When I go to import midi drums, many of the midi drum files I have, automatically preview and play using General Midi using the built in ‘Standard’ drum kit on midi channel 10, once I have previewed the file I can choose whether to import it, or not, but many of the files are previewing on midi channel 1 which is the piano.

The simple way round this is to import every drum midi file I have and preview playing it in Ardour, very time consuming … Is there a way to maybe ‘tag’ a midi file so it uses channel 10? I am guessing at the solution here, have not found any way to make a midi file preview this way yet…

Hoping a picture saves a thousand words…

This is one that previews nicely with midi channel 10…

This one only previews on midi channel 1…

Both are midi drum patterns…

I am thinking it would be nice to be able to choose which midi channel to preview something in, probably getting ahead of myself now…!

Why don’t you choose a Drum Plugin for playback?

Hey Robert…

Tried that, no sound as it still only previews on channel 1

Hah…!!

These files seem to have a big blank at the start of them… The actual drum patterns are way towards the end of the file and are quite short (about 5% of the file length)…

UPDATE… that was the files I had in one directory, all the others have the same prob… Can see the midi input monitor going up and down, but no sound as still on channel one… damn, thought I had solved it for a moment…