Import/Export Software with Ardour Support

Well we have just put up version 3.0 and no doubt there will be a 3.0.1 soon.

There are a range of minor things yet for us to address and no doubt in the (yes) rush we probably missed something obvious but then if it was easy everbody would be doing this or impersonating Elvis (or both!).

BTW Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to test, support or just badger me into fixing things and of course thanks to JL for his doco and testing (someone please RTFM as he went to some effort with that).

@runaway

I develop/maintain AV Linux http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html

I was wondering about including the demo of AATranslator in the upcoming version 4, AV Linux serves as a demonstration framework for both Open Source projects like Ardour as well as Commercial applications like Renoise, It comes with Wine pre-installed so including the Demo would be a good fit. It would expose your app to a growing audience of Linux Audio users many of whom are migrating from Windows based sequencers. Anyway it’s your call, if you are interested you can reply here or email me at infoATbandshedDOTnet

@gmac

Sure no problem. Just let me know what your time frame is as we have an update coming out which has a significant improvement in OMF import functionality. eg a conversion which currently takes 5 minutes will now take 5 seconds plus we now cover pretty much all the usual OMF flavours as well as including Paris, Lightworks and others.

I just have to rewrite the import function for the AVID flavoured OMFs as naturally they do things just differently enough to be annoying - LOL

runaway,

Thanks, that’s great. I am waiting for Ardour 2.8.8 to come out and a couple of other key applications which have significant improvements forthcoming, I hope to be ready to roll by mid-May. I’ll keep an eye out on this thread for new versions of AAT, Kudos and Congrats on a much needed application, For people using multiple platforms it will be indispensable.

It is thanks to your extensive efforts tbonedude that we got this far.
Thanks also to Paul for his input.

This functionality will be in release 3.2 and should be available within the next 48 hours and probably sooner.

This is all very good news indeed.

It can be very difficult visualising something that you actually cant see or touch but tbonedude is my eyes and ears and is doing an excellent job of making sure that the end result is useful to ardour users.

We are currently working on automation, fades & xfades and thanks to Paul’s input I should have something for tbonedude to test in about 24 hours. I can see a couple of small issues with fade shapes converting from other daws but nothing insurmountable or at least nothing that some math won’t fix.

Edit:
xfades seem to be ok but just about finished re-doing the fades (which should now work) and the track & clip (fader & region?) automation and should have something for re-testing in a couple of hours.
There is a small issue in that AAT currently only stores clip/region envelopes/automation (don’t ask why) and generally converts between the two where required. I will probably look to catering for track automation as well as clip automation across all daws once I get things a bit more settled.

Some good news - I think we are down to some ‘benign’ load issues and the colour of the imported tracks.

So I’m pretty sure we are almost there.

Version 3.2 slightly delayed while we try and finish off adding track automation across every daw format that we support. Its almost complete (a couple of days I’d think) and once released will cover track gain & track pan automation as well as clip gain envelopes for ardour.

The current available version (3.1.36) supports conversion (import & export) of ardour session files and should offer agood indication of its effectiveness.

A quick update:

We have now developed a pretty respectable PT7 conversion. We can now convert:-

Clips/regions, fades, track automation (vol,mute & pan), BPM, session offset, FPS, track details (name, solo, mute etc), markers (absolute, range & beat) and probably a heap more that I have left out.

We are about to release v3.4 with many, many bug fixes and additional features as well as improved support for running under pc emulators as well as improved support for ‘international’ formatting (I really dont get that comma instead of a decimal point thing).

We now warn if an ardour session has hidden regions or layers when converting to PT5

Too much more to remember

PT7 features will be in v3.5

Without saying too much if you are thinking about buying then now is probabably a good idea :wink:

Version 4.0 at one point was finalised but somehow we just didn’t know when to stop adding features and fixing bugs.
Though I suspect that the pain in my head should have given some indication.

Well all this fun must come to an end and somehow get this version out to you so we decided that Xmas eve will be that date!

Even right up to the date we will still be adding features and carrying out testing and yes even updating documentation but no matter what we will get version 4.0 out on Xmas eve.

Version 4.0 contains many small and large improvements but the highlights are:

• Import ProTools session files (ptf) for versions 7, 8 & 9
  • Ron Novy’s eagerly sought OMF export function now included. AAT will export OMF as either embedded or reference and will cater for both aif & wav media.
  • Import Samplitude VIP session files
  • Improved fade type conversions across most formats
  • We have also added improved conversions between Reaper, Samplitude & Audition. Specifically we now convert routing (bus/aux), clip groups and fade types.
    We will add this functionality to other formats in subsequent releases.

Registered users will be contacted on Xmas eve.

@runaway: if i were you, i’d defer to jan 2nd :slight_smile: great news on the new features though. too bad you guys didn’t write this all in java so that it could be truly x-platform, chortle :wink:

Paul - don’t know if you got my email (maybe around September) about delivering on my promise to release ArdourXchange as open source?

At the weekend I had to replace my computer’s hard drive and haven’t yet restored everything but I think I emailed you around the end of September or maybe the beginning of October. Basically I was proposing to move the current AxC code into Ardour but was just waiting for your feedback.

@paul: been busy and didn’t catch this post but too late I have already pressed the button and have notified all registered users that v4.0 is now available.

We were still adding features right up until the death!

Well I did say that we would get this beast out on Xmas eve and while it is 4 hours into my Xmas day its still Xmas eve somewhere in the world and that’s my excuse.

x-platform? man I only found out a little while ago there were other platforms - LOL

Merry Xmas

hallo,
i did not got sth. here.

where/how could i get a copy of this software?

i really would like to try it out and if it would work for me ( importing omf files into a2/mixbus) i would like to use it.

cheers,
doc

he, sorry, i just noticed the web site in the very first post of this thread.

i ll conntact AAtranslator directly in the next days.

cheers,
doc

It looks like I’ll be able to get a client of mine to spring for the Enhanced version of AATranslator so we can interact with another studio that uses PT. It will be great to have that level of interoperability!

I I’m pretty sure the answer is no here, but is there a demo version available that I can use to start getting familiar with the workflow?

Thanks for creating this, it looks like it’ll be a huge help in being able to run an Ardour-based studio without limiting our clients who want to bring in tracks recorded elsewhere.

@JoeHartley
For a heap of reasons we stopped providing a demo many versions ago.
In essence you select the format to convert from and the file you want converted and then you select the format you want to convert to and press ‘Generate’’.

There are a few options that can be selected and a heap of documentation to help.
Feel free to send me a session or 2 via the AATranslator web site as a test. Just bear in mind that the great PT is very inflexible eg all media must have same bit depth (24 or 16) & sample rate, mono files, etc

Glad to hear progress being made on this!

Seablade

Its amazing just how much time developing AATranslator takes up and how little time there is available to lurk on the forums.

Another really busy and productive period for us the result being that we released version 5.3 on April Fools Day - it seemed appropriate at the time. This release has the following modifications now available :-

• Nuendo/Cubase Import: Fixed overflow error from 20 digit numbers in Cubase 6 xmls
  • Marker track in Steinberg Track Archives now imported from ver 2 or later. And written in a form vers 5 & later can read.
  • Xfades now being imported into Cubase/Nuendo from AAT XMLs
  • Steinberg fade types now convert to Reaper and vice versa
  • AES31/ADL fades now convert to Steinberg XMLs as well as Reaper
  • PTF & PT5 fade types now convert to Steinberg XML
  • ProTools Import: Can now read session files from PT version 5.1 to 6.9 (ie AAT can now read PT versions 5 to 9)
  • ProTools Import: Can now read PT10 PTF files saved as PT9
  • Export to PT5: Added option to remove offset from timeline and add to session offset
  • Export to PT5: Workaround for PT internal bug which caused PT to not properly display all markers
  • Import/Export PT/PT5: Clip/region names now supported
  • Export to PT5: Now write fade types
  • Export to PT5: Identical clips/regions are no longer listed separately in the ‘Region list’
  • SAW Export: Now write session offset to SAW EDL
  • SAW Import: Video track not converting – now fixed
  • SAW Import: Improved support for track layers and track out of order
  • Most formats now have the option to save the conversion to the source folder “Send Output to…” / “Folder containing source…”
  • Fixes problems with Logic v9 produced FCP XMLs
  • Added import & export support for Ableton Live v8 ALS session files (arrangement view)
  • Fixed error reading some Audition sesx files
  • Fixed error writing invalid file length to Audition XML files
  • Now imports Cool Edit 2000 1.0 session files
  • Vegas EDL (TXT) conversions to PT5, OMF and others now fixed where clips overlap by 1 sample
  • Vegas EDL (TXT) conversions to PT5, OMF and others with multiple VIDEO tracks now fixed
  • OMF files containing AIFC chunks now converted to AIFF chunks for SAW and Audition v3 and earlier
  • OMF to RPP conversions now have the option of converting clip envelopes to track automation
  • A heap of OpenTL fixes
  • Fixed conversions from ses to AA3 XML or CS5.5 sesx involving video and missing first track
  • AA3 sessions (ses or XML) converted from a format with a session offset will only record from the start of the track
    To fix this the session offset is no longer converted to AA3 ses or XML session files
  • Fixed problem with files embedded in a Sonar OMF being flagged as AIF type when actually Wav files.
  • Now write OpenTL files with a sample rate of 192k - Note Studio One seems unable to read TLs more than 50.1k
  • Can now convert PT AIF files with non-standard header to WAV

The Excel Spreadsheet ‘Conversion Guide.xls’ which is available from our web site has been significantly updated and shows in greater detail exactly what gets converted from one session format to another.