Import/Export Software with Ardour Support

What about the AES32 Standard?

digitalcontentproducer.com/mag/video_aes_standard/

@runaway: no, you haven’t missed the mark. even on linux, if your translator is reasonably coded then it will almost certainly run under Wine. that’s still a bit ugly for a lot of people, but given that you have support for so many formats already, it could conceivably be worth it for some users.

AES31-2 was the first one we coded. As I recall PT didn’t want to be part of that club. They wanted their own ‘standard’ rather than a standard that was standard :slight_smile:

runaway, I would be happy to provide some xmls from ardour for a project like this. E-mail me at:
macinnisrr@gmail.com
and I’ll send a couple out.

Thanks - have sent email

runaway, I’d also like to help with sample sessions and beta testing if you need beta testers! Email my username on this forum @gmail.com. Thanks!

Thanks guys for the xmls and other info. I am still a bit tied up with OMF2 and ALE conversion at the moment but I will keep in touch - I’m not far off.

Yes I know its been a while but I hadn’t forgotten - its just that we have been really busy with OMF, FCP and arrange of other formats.
We finally got version 2.3 of AATranslator out a few days ago and we are just finalising testing and doco for v2.4 which I hope should go out maybe by the end of the week. We also have another bloke working with us on the OMF export function.

Anyway, bottom line is that I have started writing the code for the function to read Ardour session files and that shouldn’t take too long before its ready for testing.

Just thought I’d give you an update.

Thanks for the update, keeping my eyes open.

Seablade

Pretty sure that I have a good translation of the ardour session file - If I can get it tested in time then with a bit of luck it might make our next version. I’ll worry about an export function for a later version.

Which means that as a first step Ardour sessions could be easily converted to Samplitude, Reaper, Audition, Logic, Vegas, Cubendo etc, etc.

Anyway I’ll keep you informed.

I’ve got Ardour and Reaper (and Cubase in a box somewhere)…

I actually need a few more tests carried out.

So if there is someone on the forum who has both Ardour (obviously) and who also runs one of the other daws that we support (eg Vegas, Reaper, Audition, Samplitude, FCP, Logic, Studio One, Cubendo or anything that uses AES31 or OpenTL) that wouldn’t mind running a couple of quick tests I would appreciate it.

Hmm I can get a hold of FCP and Reaper fairly easily I believe, I just don’t have a lot of time lately. If you can’t find anyone drop a note here and I will try to make time next week to run said tests.

Seablade

Great if you could send me (via the AATranslator web site) a small Ardour file (dont need the media) then I will convert it to a Reaper RPP file. Then if you could check it to see how it goes I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Just another update:-

Managed to get some input (thanks to all those that have offered) and have managed to read the Ardour files and convert them to numerous other daws. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=53052

Have also pretty well completed the writing of Ardour session files - still lots of testing to do.

Some minor things to sort out like pan envelopes (haven’t got a session with that detail yet) and just need to verify some of the flag settings and some other bits and pieces. Nothing that exposure to a few more sessions won’t sort out.

This functionality will go out in v2.5 as we are about to release v2.4

Another update:-

Version 2.4 went out with lots of enhancements and we have been busy with more FCP & OMF as well as PT and Ardour.

So version 2.5 which should be released before the end of the month will have the ability to create native ProTools session files. This will make it possible to move your sessions between all the daws/formats we support including PT and OMF.

Unfortunately I haven’t managed to get enough Ardour testing interest, so while I’m reasonably confident with the Ardour import function, unfortunately, I’m going to have to put an Ardour release on the backburner until I can some more testing carried out.

runaway-

I haven’t had a lot of time lately to test, however if you can’t get others to step up, contact me via email… seablaede at gmail. Note the extra ‘a’ in the name. I will do what I can in what little time I have. I would be interested to see projects like this progress certainly.

Seablade

I’d be more than happy to help in testing ardour import/export functions for your software. Just email me and give me a better idea of what you need. (my email is my forum name @hotmail.com). Let me know!

thanks guys - like both of you my time is limited and has to be spread over too many competing priorities so I your offers are much appreciated - I am contacting you both now.

tbonedude has started some testing and all is looking pretty good for at least the import function to make the next release.

Thanks for the others who have offered.