I cannot monitor inputs, what am I doing wrong?

I’m a relatively experienced cubase user trying to get my head around Ardour. I’m pretty new to linux.

I have a M-Audio 2496 soundcard. I have envy24 set up ok, and have managed to get Jack running, and get a mic input into ardour working fine.

It will record and playback audio from the mic. What I cannot do is monitor the input live. I have tracks routed as below, with the mic as ‘capture 1’ and I have the ‘mic input test’ track armed to record.

As I said, it will record this and play it back again, but I cannot hear the monitor signal of the mic. Now, the strange thing is that if I make a connection directly from the mic to the master, then I can monitor the mic and hear it live:

So, why is it that it will not feed a monitor signal from the ‘mic input test’ track to the ‘master’, even though it appears to be connected to do so?

Many thanks for the help!!!

just been having a better look around and found this:
http://ardour.org/node/1090

This might solve my problem, but I’ve been sat in front of this screen far too long to try it now, so will give it a go tomorrow… :slight_smile:

So, why is it that it will not feed a monitor signal from the ’mic input test’ track to the ’master’, even though it appears to be connected to do so?
Because there are three ways of monitoring in ardour, and the default one (I reckon) is external monitoring.
If you choose software monitoring in the options–>monitoring menu, you will hear the input with the connections shown in your first screenshot. It’s got pro’s and con’s. Read 8.2 in the manual. If you have high latency and not an external mixing console you’ll probably prefer hardware monitoring. I think you have to use envy24 control to configure this kind of monitoring (BTW, I use an audio card very like yours and I use software monitoring). The way suggested in the thread you mention is useful (and it makes sense with your 2nd screenshot because the “master” is a bus so you can hear the input sounds) but too complicated if you just want to monitor what you are recording (without further effects), along with the other tracks if needed.
Good luck
Pablo