How to Update Ardour 7.2

Hi, I have bought Ardour in Version 7.2.
Now I want the latest 7.5 Version because of

“You may re-download any version of Ardour 7 by logging in or entering the invoice ID below at Download Ardour | Ardour Community

But there is no download option for version 7.
So, I paid for a one-time download here?
If I do not update or miss new version, my payment is useless, or?

Maybe it’s a better option to compile it from source because this is very unconvincing.

We do not make older versions of our work available, feeling that it devalues the work we put into bug fixes and new features.

If you paid less than US$45, your payment doesn’t provide access to the version 8.x series.

Sorry that you’re unconvinced. Compiling from source will always be an option.

The minimum payment for a copy of the latest version is $1. If you become a subscriber ($1/month minimum), you will always have access to the current version along with the nightly builds for as long as your subscription is active. If you find Ardour valuable, it is worth considering and will save you a lot of hassle compiling it yourself, while also contributing financial support the developers need to continue working on the project. I am a subscriber, and it feels good. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s true. But I can’t select a specific version. If I need a version before the current release for some reason, it doesn’t work. The cost is not the problem here. I’m thinking about switching to reaper. :frowning:

If the inability to access a version of Ardour that has dozens of bugs left unfixed and features missing is your reason to move to Reaper, we wish you well on your journey with a new DAW. Reaper is an excellent program, and I am sure you will enjoy it.

4 Likes

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not a power user and I don’t need all the new features that also bring new bugs. Why not a LTS-Version or something. I need a simple, fast and stable program. Maybe I will try again later :wink:

A version in between the one you are using and the current version isn’t more stable than the current version. I assume you are under this impression because the first digit is the same in versions 7.2 and 7.5, but that is just the naming scheme.

I have never heard of LTS in the context of an application, just distributions and kernels. What other DAW, or any application for that matter, has a LTS version and a current version? Multiple versions of Ardour can be installed on a system simultaneously, so you could always keep 7.2 on your machine in case you need to revert back to it for a particular session. Giving users this option seems a better development path than the duplication of effort in making two different versions available.

3 Likes

@GuntherT: Not that it’s important, but (e.g.):

Oracle intends to make future LTS releases every two years meaning the next planned LTS release is Java 25 in September 2025. For the purposes of Oracle Premier Support, non-LTS releases are considered a cumulative set of implementation enhancements of the most recent LTS release.

Source:

Fair enough, but isn’t Java a programming language/development environment versus an application?

1 Like

We are not Oracle and we do not have the resources to maintain an LTS version in parallel with the current release. The same is true, AFAIK, of every DAW manufacturer.

One difference is that some (well, maybe just one: Reaper) do make it possible to download older versions.

@GuntherT: You’re absolutely right. Apologies for being misleading.

Blender (the computer graphics software) has LTS versions.

Firefox has something called ESR (Extended Support Release), which basically is LTS with a different name.

Microsoft Office has their own take on long-term support, they call it LTSC, or they call it “perpetual versions”, which only receive security updates, basically.

@paul I never meant to even suggest that Ardour adopts an LTS licence model. I was only trying to enrich the conversation by providing examples of applications that do that. For what is worth, I don’t believe in the value that the LTS concept supposedly brings to the table, and a proof of that is that my personal machine has been running a rolling distribution (ArchLinux) for years.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.