How to select patches of external sound modules by name?

I’m new to Ardour4 so maybe I’m doing something wrong.

What I want to do is to select patches by name for my Roland JV-2080. When I select the corresponding item for the JV-2080 from the drop down list on a MIDI track, nothing happens. I’d expect that there would be another box to select the patch name from?

(When I reopen the song then a second box is displayed, but I can only select “Default” from its list.)

What to do?

I’m on OS X 10.9.5, Ardour 4.0.0

Any ideas?

Well my first thought would be to see if there is a MIDNAM file for your device or not. If there isn’t that would be the first step, to create one.

Seablade

Thanks for the reply, Seablade!
The midnam file for the Roland JV-2080 comes with Ardour 4 and I just checked that it’s indeed included in the App folder.
This is were it lives here: /Applications/Ardour4.app/Contents/Resources/patchfiles

The same happens for the other midnams, too, by the way.
So how does this work? Do I just have to select the external MIDI device from the list in the track header and then look elsewhere for the patch names? Where to find them?

Patches aren’t set in the track headers. You’ll have to right-click on a MIDI region and choose “insert Patch Change”. It’s a little clunky right now.

Ahhh, thanks a lot Ben! It would probably have taken ages to figure that out by accidentally finding that menu item someday. :wink:
So the easiest way seems to be to just insert a blank patch change, switch to edit mode, right-click on the patch change and then select a patch from the menu (since this menu is way more usable than the single drop-down box in the dialog window that pops up when you insert a new patch change).
An always open patch name browser with a search field and a pre-listen function would be nice to have I guess…