How to screen record audio and ardour

How to get obs studio or simple screen recorder to work with ardour (or jack)?
I can get jack and ardour working.
Not sure how to get obs studio to use jack to get input sound.
Any help?

There is only one video out there for making ardour work with obs studio.
Yet it does not really explain how to do it. Because of this video I ended up installing kxtools ppa and all apps. But I’m clueless.

I’ll make a video if you tell me how. Seems like a chicken or the egg scenario.

simple screen recorder needs no tweaking but uses jack for autio input… then just run jack server and ardour to connect to jack and it works without any tweaking.

OBS studio needs to connect system capture to Jack Client Input (This is actually obs) Once you add, Jack as an audio input (in obs capture sources), you will see jack client on the claudia canvas.
You need carla or claudia in the canvas to draw the connections… (system capture -> Jack client)

Ftr you can use the ardour audio connection manager to connect the output of ardour to th r input in obs.

Worked like a charm and will surely be the way I will do it for now on. As promised I will make a video. Please marked this as solved.

Here is the video on how to use OBS Studio screen recorder with Ardour
https://youtu.be/YgC4sE3_Oos

2 Likes

I realize this is an old thread but I was wondering why one would want to use Ardour and OBS at the same time since OBS can record the audio and video at once.

If you were making an ardour tutorial or doing a track break down video you’d need to cast (or record) your screen along with a mic and the audio from ardour.

1 Like

I think that tutorials would be the main purpose. However, someone might want to clean up some audio in real-time with plugins piping in a mic into the computer and ardour at the same time while doing a screen stream either direct to video or live to the universe’s channels. One can pipe into a live stream for youtube, or zoom with a virtual camera. There are many uses.

A long time ago, several versions ago, I wanted to show how to do a simple task on Ardour on OBS and got stuck. So when I figured it out, I made this video to help others as my way of paying back to the community. In general, you cannot really make a video on how to use Ardour without knowing how to make Ardour and OBS work at the same time. Why can’t Ardour and OBS do it easily? Ardour takes over the whole audio mechanism of linux while it is running. Try to play a video while you have basic Ardour setup running. See what happens. I’m quite happy that many people have watched the video. I didn’t expect it.

Quite easy, I always do this fro my video. Just enable jack-client in Obs then connect the master out from Ardour to jack-client. Done.

Prefer an external send from Ardour’s master bus to OBS.

OBS does not implement JACK latency compensation and informs Ardour of incorrect playback latency leading to incorrect A/V sync (Ardour’s status bar should indicate this by flashing “no align”). Sends in Ardour include delay-lines to correct for this.

This is intentional and by design. When doing pro-audio work, no other application must be able to change any soundcard settings, interfere with recording or play sound to the monitor.

If you do need desktop audio (watch video, etc) the common case is to use a second soundcard just for that (e.g. a laptop’s onboard soundcard). On Linux, you can use JACK or Pipewire to also allow shared access to the soundcard. YMMV.

Yep “no align” is flashing but I’ve never had any notable problems. Anyway, I’ll keep in mind for the next time, thanks.

Ardour playback is aligned so that when the clock reads 01:00:00, you hear the corresponding audio. Since it takes time for the audio to pass though the system and to the speakers, Ardour plays the sound ahead of time.

Assuming you use a small enough buffersize you may indeed not notice a difference for screen-capture. At 25 fps /48kHz there are 1920 audio-samples per video frame. While humans are good to detect if the audio is early, with a common buffersize of 1024 sample/cycle the difference is less than 1 video frame.

Note however that if you were to record overdubs in Ardour while “No align” flashes, they would not align with existing audio.

When I tried this I did indeed get the “No Align” flashing so I backed out and figured it was something in my system not working properly. I’m glad to see that was not the case. Thanks for explaining the “No Align” more clearly. I didn’t quite understand the explanation of the tool-tip that it shows.

I’m also glad I resurrected this thread because it is quite educational. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge.

The recent thread segment is very informative. Robin drops technical wisdom again. I never would have thought of trying an external send from master bus, and I lack the technical background to understand why it should be the right way and I accept it. Dave, I can relate.

I was wondering why I might want to use Ardour with OBS, and it seems that the answer is making Ardour tutorials and live streaming with (presumably better) audio processing than what OBS can do. I think in my case of wanting to only record, I am better off playing with digital audio in asynchronous post-production. Thanks, everyone.

I’ve still not been able to get this to work using OBS “Jack Input Client” as a source. I decided to use pipewire/wireplumber and just installed a plugin for OBS which uses that system. I will be testing it out today.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.