How to run Ardour???

I’m not very knowledgeable about the command line and I have just refreshe myself on basic Linux Command line but I can’t get Ardour to start I see in the file instructions as to setting the LD to (empty) but I don’t know what to do without screwing it up and no luck with getting it started. I would love to use this program just need some help here. Can anyone show me where to find a step by step procedure for setting it up. Such as which folder or dir to place it in the how to set up the file to run…thanks frustrated.

@LinuxDSP likely all true, I just don’t remember the specifics of the install as I usually am running from SVN compiles anyways(Or Running Mixbus:) Thanks for the clarifications.

Seablade

New@Ardour

You are viewing a shell script, you actually just need to run that shell script. You can do this a couple of different ways, but the most common is to run it by

/PATH/TO/SCRIPT/ardour2.sh

Obviously replace PATH TO SCRIPT with the actual path to the script whereever you put it. So if oyu put the bundle in a directory named ardour2 in your home directory and your username is someone it would be…

/home/someone/ardour2/ardour2.sh

If the file is not marked as executable, you may need to run that as…

sh /home/someone/ardour2/ardour2.sh

Seablade

Oh gosh! Yes you were totally in another type of techincal frustration there…

Anyway, seablade came to the rescue as usual (he’s a show off but don’t tell him that)

And good choice in coming to the linux world for pro-audio. Yes you will have a kind of steep learning curve but nothing impossible or hard, just be patient and lots of good luck!

@joegiampaoli

Anyway, seablade came to the rescue as usual (he's a show off but don't tell him that)

Oh don’t worry I know:) But I am still up form yesterday sometime right now so I will be heading out as well now that my late night showboating is done:)

Seablade
# This is Linux-specific startup script for a bundled version of Ardour

Which I think means it would normally (if installed using the installer which comes with the bundled version of ardour) be installed to /opt, so if you must start it from the command line, you can do something like

/opt/Ardour-2.8.14_(build rev)/bin/ardour2

the specific path off /opt may vary depending upon (build rev) / A2 or A3 etc, but it should be obvious if you look around in /opt

None of this should be necessary to run ardour on a recent distro as it normally installs a (desktop) shortcut.

try:

ardour2 (for ardour 2)
ardour3 (for ardour 3)

:slight_smile:

I believe you installed it from a package manager but its kind of a good idea to run ldconfig (as root) when you install new things mostly when you compile your own stuff so the system finds it.

Cheers!

EDIT: And read this…

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/index/?q=flossmanual

Thanks for responding and sorry for being inexperienced, I had a full course in Linux in school for my AS degree program, but that was in 1999-2003. I can’t even get it to start at all. here’s the code…If you could tell me anything about what to do with it that would be great I just can’t find any info. on something that basic in my books or here. too much info. How do I run the Idconfig(as root) when do I do that???
I really don’t understand the instructions here about setting the LD to (empty) and the other instructions in this file.

#!/bin/sh

This is Linux-specific startup script for a bundled version of Ardour

ARGS=""

while [ $# -gt 0 ] ; do
case $1 in

--debug)
	DEBUG="T";
	shift ;;
*)
	ARGS=$ARGS$1" ";
	shift; ;;
esac

done

#LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to be set (empty) so that epa can swap between the original and the bundled version
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

export PREBUNDLE_ENV="$(env)"

BIN_DIR=$(dirname $(readlink -f $0))
INSTALL_DIR=$(dirname $BIN_DIR)
LIB_DIR=$INSTALL_DIR/lib
ETC_DIR=$INSTALL_DIR/etc
USER_ARDOUR_DIR=$HOME/.ardour2

if [ ! -d $USER_ARDOUR_DIR ] ; then
mkdir -p $USER_ARDOUR_DIR || exit 1
fi

this triggers code in main() that will reset runtime environment variables

to point to directories inside the ardour package

export ARDOUR_BUNDLED=true

this is edited by the build script to include relevant environment variables

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/opt/bin:$PATH

export GTK_PATH=$INSTALL_DIR/libs/clearlooks${GTK_PATH:+:$GTK_PATH}
export GTK_MODULES="" # Disable extra modules from being loaded by gtk (example, libcanberra-gtk-module.so)
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$INSTALL_DIR/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

create install-location-dependent config files for Pango and GDK image loaders

We have to do this every time because its possible that BIN_DIR has changed

sed “s?@ROOTDIR@/modules?$LIB_DIR/modules?” < $ETC_DIR/pango.modules.in > $USER_ARDOUR_DIR/pango.modules
sed “s?@ROOTDIR@/loaders?$LIB_DIR/loaders?” < $ETC_DIR/gdk-pixbuf.loaders.in > $USER_ARDOUR_DIR/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

if [ “T” = “$DEBUG” ]; then
export ARDOUR_INSIDE_GDB=1
exec gdb $INSTALL_DIR/bin/ardour-2.8.14
else
exec $INSTALL_DIR/bin/ardour-2.8.14 $ARGS
fi