How to prevent sending СС messages from knobs directly to the instrument?

I got a problem that I didn’t have before. Previously, I myself assigned the knobs of my MIDI controller to the Ardour parameters, but now I noticed that some knobs change not only the parameter to which I explicitly assigned it, but also some other parameters of the Instrument.

For example: the 8th knob changes the pan (stereo balance) to the MIDI General synth.

Can I somehow disable the sending of CC messages from knobes to tools? I want to choose on my own which knobes change what.

Most MIDI CC messages (the kinds likely sent by your knobs) have predefined meanings. If they are received by a synth that wants to act on those meanings, it will, unless there is a way within the synth to turn off that behavior. There is certainly a MIDI CC pan message, for example, and it is quite likely that you have a knob which sends it.

The x42 plugins include a MIDI filter that I believe could be used to stop those messages from reaching the synth. But if you actually want to use them (for something else), then it’s a synth-specific question: how to stop this particular synth from responding to these messages.

I believe that with fluidsynth and the GM soundfont, this is not possible.

Somebody else may correct me.

Yes. MIDI Event Filter can Block Control Changes. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.