How to Install ToneLib VST

Thanks for your advice. I’m trying with tonelib (looks nice!) but I get the standalone app (on ubuntu) I can’t get tonelib as plugin into ardour…any suggestion about how can I get tonelib as plugin?
I’ve installed Tonelib from the own website, but I can’t find it on plugins manager on Ardour.

If the VST2 plugin has not been automatically installed by the ToneLib installer, or if you are using a non-Debian distribution, following these steps might help. (For some users, it might actually just be a matter of re-scanning for new plugins, so try that first.)

1. Download the .deb file from the ToneLib website and extract it:

2. One of the files extracted will be data.tar.xz. Extract it, to reveal another folder: /usr/

3. Inside /usr/, navigate to /lib/vst/:

4. Move the .so file contained within the vst folder to your local VST2 plugin path:

5. If necessary, add your local VST2 path to the VST paths in Ardour, and rescan for new plugins. ToneLib should now show up in the Plugin Manager.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! I can get ToneLib plugin adding VST3 path in Ardour preferences. Very Nice Guitar amp! Thanks again for your help!!

1 Like

The example is for VST2.

VST3 plugins are bundles (folders with a specific directory structure), not a single file. The VST3 plugin should installed in e.g. $HOME/.vst3/ToneLib.vst3/Contents/x86_64-linux/ToneLib.so (note: the folder names need to match):

One does not usually need to set a custom path to VST3 plugin locations. The spec mandates dedicated install locations.

1 Like

@x42 Thank you for pointing this out. I have edited my post so that it only directs to the folder containing the vst2 file.

@mlopezfunes Glad it worked, despite the parody of an instruction I accomplished yesterday. See Robins post below about the difference between VST2 and VST3, and please note that my instruction is for the VST2 plugin only. I have updated it since.

1 Like

Why extract it? Simply installing the package should do the trick, no?

1 Like

Ah, yes that should work on Debian based distros. But on Manjaro and such, would it not be necessary to extract it to get to the underlying folders? Perhaps I’ve overdone the whole process?

Right, if you’re not using a .deb based GNU/Linux distro you have to extract and manually deploy the plugins.

In that case I’d recommend to either install it in the user’s $HOME/.vst3/ or system-wide in /usr/local/lib/vst3/.

/usr/lib/ or /lib/ is best reserved for (distro) packaged software, and it’s good practice to not manually interfere with that.

3 Likes

As soon as I have a moment, I’ll edit my post and the screenshots to reflect your recommendation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.