How to install Ardour 3 from a sfs file

Hi There … :wink:

found these sfs / pet “packages” for Ardour 3 / on Puppy Linux …
I’m facing trouble installing off of these files … on Lucid 5.2.8 .
could someone give me a detailed walkthrough, … perhaps ?

ALSO --> I’m all open ears / eyes if someone has some serious opinions on the ultimate Linux DAW - distro
and a how to on optimizing and tweaking it to the max (:

Regards,
zergei W .

I believe the Ardour developers only offer support to Ardour packages loaded from the Ardour download page. If you have difficulties with packages from a particular distro you should contact the package maintainers for that distro.

I'm all open ears / eyes if someone has some serious opinions on the ultimate Linux DAW - distro and a how to on optimizing and tweaking it to the max (:

Most people’s experience (and certainly mine) is that your best option is a distro designed for the purpose, which will already have been optimised and tweaked. Mine is AV linux, which has all the necessary setups to make Ardour and many other (included) good media creation programs work properly, including the option of a RT kernel. I’m sure other Audio-specific distros such as KXstudio and Ubuntu Studio are just as good.
Generic distros like Debian and regular Ubuntu need much more expert work to get them running Ardour well and are not worth the trouble in my experience. Also they come with out of date versions of Ardour.
AV Linux is not designed to be upgraded from its own repository, but you can download new versions of Ardour from here and they work just fine. (which, going back to your first question, is what you should perhaps try: it’s more likely to work than your Puppy packages.)

A few years ago I was playing with Puppy Linux a lot. I hadn’t used Linux in about ten years and I wasn’t really ready to commit to installing a distro on the hd until I kind of knew what I was doing. That was when I first heard about Ardour and I remember trying to install it on Puppy with no end of grief. Your best bet, like anahata said, would be to try a multimedia based distro. No hassles other than learning how to use the software. If you are using Puppy because you have an old computer, then AV Linux would be your choice. KX Studio is also most excellent but might not run too smoothly on old hardware.
I really loved Puppy for the fact that you could boot off the DVD and if you messed things up you could just reboot and not save your changes and everything would be fixed. Great for learning.