How to edit a podcast with relative chapter marker?

That cannot be true. “Ripple all tracks” whatever the DAW includes marker movement. REAPER, Samplitude, Sequoia, Pyramix to name just a few. If we are talking about an Ardour quirk then that is different.

Ah, right, for “Ripple all tracks” that would be true. Ardour does not support “Ripple all tracks” at this time. It is restricted to the tracks where an edit actually takes place (and then ripple follows thereafter).

I think there’s been some confusion from others reading your post as I think they think you have implemented ripple all tracks.

Well, that would be wrong, and is not shown in the image I posted.

The new markers are associated with source files.

If you’re editing a single-track with a single recording, there’s essentially no difference.

These markers are unrelated to ripple-mode editing.

I actually think you may have misunderstood the OP. It is clearly suggesting ripple all tracks functionality. Oh well :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps markers within regions started as a side-conversation?

The OP wants to be able to create markers that are fixed in place relative to the data they reference. That is a feature that is orthogonal to ripple-editing.

I believe that most users would much rather being able to create markers that always have this property, rather than the motion of markers being based on the editing mode they are in. “Chapter 1 is <here>” not “when ripple editing, move the Chapter 1 marker along with any rippling”.

The bug report #4128 is clearly unrelated to ripple editing, too.

Sorry for being misunderstood: I clearly want “ripple all tracks”. Maybe I was not clear enough. I’m not an english native speaker. I did not use this terminus in the first post. I know it now after some googling during this conversation.

Actually, I don’t think you do :slight_smile:

Although ripple-all-tracks would also serve many of the same purposes (assuming it also supported “ripple global markers too”).

I hate to disagree but ripple all tracks is clearly what is needed here. He wants functionality (as do others) that post-adding CD markers or such any future edits (for whatever good reason) will also move markers to maintain gaps and relative placement. For example, you do a full round of editing, place your CD markers and then realize that one of the tracks needs some editing to get rid of some room noise/bad edit decision/applause etc. With ripple all tracks, any edits affect all tracks and will keep all subsequent markers at the beginnings of regions (or wherever they were originally placed). This is not an internal-cue-marker-inside-of-wav issue.

1 Like

The same thing will happen with these markers. Move, trim, copy (and, even content-trim) any regions, the markers all stay right where they were put, relative to the (audio|MIDI) data. Regardless of whether you are ripple editing or not.

I’ll do a little video on it when I’m done.

What about markers that start just before a region? I’m talking about CD markers where you might have 200ms-1sec of silence before the audio begins (or a CD end marker 12 seconds after the last region has finished). They are clearly not part of a region but part of the timeline and are treated as such by other DAWs.

fair point. that sort of marker will require global marker ripple, which will not land till v7.x, because it will be intimately tied into the time-representation changes coming in that version.

1 Like

Now that this type of marker exists, would it make sense to use them on regions being recorded when an x-run occurs, either instead of or in addition to the global markers?

That is already the case.

Wouldn’t “select all tracks; Insert Time / Remove Time” (with “move Markers” toggled) do pretty much what you are looking for? Have I missed something?

That’s for when you know exactly how much time you need to add or remove and involves the rather convoluted workflow of typing in numbers. In REAPER and other “ripple all tracks”-capable DAWs, it is achieved with a simple mouse click ‘n’ drag. If you are experimenting with gaps between CD tracks or just from one region end to the next, it is almost always done with mouse drags and auditioning because one is not looking for an exact length but what feels right. Often it is great to close your eyes, listen to/feel the gap, stop the playhead (without returning) and then drag region (and all subsequent) back to playhead.

Nobody could ever convince me that “select all tracks;insert time / remove time” is efficient workflow :stuck_out_tongue:

For a DAW that allows for multi-track mastering, CD creation etc., “ripple all tracks (and markers)” is an essential next step in my book. Good to know it is on @paul’s radar for Ardour 7.x.

1 Like

Small note: the “gaps” between CD tracks are defined by the red book standard if the CD production mode is “track-at-once”. You can only make those choices for “disk-at-once” mode. As far I am aware, the main purpose behind disk-at-once is to burn CD’s without gaps between tracks, though certainly, if the duration of those gaps actually served some aesthetic purpose than you could use it for that too.

Also … CD’s … 2021 … really? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We wondererd about this when we were producing our CD last year. The convincing argument was that the majority of cars have (only) CD and that’s apparently a big part of the audio market.

When I say “gaps”, I mean periods of silence between movements, whole compositions etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

And, yes, CDs are still a thing in 2021. Just head on over to Presto Classical or Amazon! In any case, CD markers are still extremely useful for album creation even if the end product is digital. When a listener plays back a wav+cue or flac+cue, the “gaps” or periods of silence are still incredibly important.

It’s actually rare to find a new car with a CD player, at least in North America. We stopped owning a car about 8 years ago and we now use car-share or rentals when we need one, and I’d say less than 5% of the cars we rent, all of which are newer models, have a CD player. The rest have bluetooth so you can play music from your phone.

That said, CDs still sell, especially in classical, jazz, and traditional music circles; my partner and I do traditional music and we were initially planning to release our next album as streaming only but got a lot of pushback from our audiences who mainly prefer CD. That’s good news for us, because we make more money from selling one CD than we typically get from a year of streaming income (although the cost of making physical CDs tends to cancel out the gains and we generally lose money either way!)