How to copy a part of a multitrack recording

Hi,
is it possible to copy a selected region/part (don’t know how it called) from a multitrack recording into a new project (new instance of Ardour) with all selected tracks (not as one single.wav) so that I can edit them.
In this case, it is 8 track fieldrecoding, ~3 hours and I only need some parts out of it, but with different settings.
In this case, I have done all the work inside that one-big! Project, yes it is possible, but I think it is much easier to split it!
Now you are asking why the hack, you didn’t stop the recording and start it again with a new mix?
It was a session and I pushed the record button!
As you can read, I am new to Adour and DAW working.

Sure: just create a range (e.g., for one song or one musical piece), make sure the tracks you want to export are selected, and then go to Session > Export > Stem Export.

In the stem export dialog box click on the Time Span tab and make sure your range is selected (when you create a range you can name it, e.g., Song 1, Song 2, etc.).

In the Channels tab, verify that the channels you want to export are included.

Cool, thank you!
Worked!
Now I know the meaning of the word stem in this case.
But one more question, in that dialog you have to choose the format in which you want to export.
There I see, amazon, cd, mp3, youtube, bwav, flac,ogg,tagged wav and so on. Do you know which format I have to select to get the raw data files?
From my intuition, i would export to tagged-wav?

PS.: I think I found the answer, BWAV 24bit/32bit float (depends on how it was recorded) …, and sample it later down

No, don’t do that. Choose the BWAV option (broadcast wav). That should be at the same bit depth and sample rate as your originals. There are two options: 24 bit and 32 bit. I always record at 24 bit so I export at 24 bit.

Thx again, in this case you were faster than me :wink:

Right. If your ultimate destination is CD then you can dither down at the final export to 16 bit, but keep your files at 24 bit for editing and mixing. I haven’t actually looked into the 32-bit option and under what circumstances it would make sense. Some recorders on the market now (e.g., Sound Devicee MixPre series II recorders, some Zoom recorders, and the QSC Touchmix) record files in 32-bit float.

Also, just in case you missed it (in the manual):

The exported tracks or busses can, by checking Apply track/bus processing, be exported with the effects/processors applied, so that the destination system does not need those effects plugins.

I usually export my stems without any processing, but I can see a use case for it so it’s handy to have that option when you want it.

The exported tracks or busses can, by checking …

Yep, I saw it, short thinking about, and came to the conclusion not to use.

Manual, who read it?

Well, I read the Manual but not all and everything, it’s a big book I would say.
And I started to use Ardour 3 days ago.
Before I recorded with a H5 zoom recorder using audacity and a bit sox-magic to cut the recording and producing a cd or mp3, just to hear what we have done down there in the bunker.
With the H8 I have the possibility for 8 track recording, so I was curious how adour/ a DAW works and if I can work with it.
So, I spend some nights to read and watching tutorials.

Internally Ardour deals with floating point audio, so exporting as 32 bit float makes the most sense in terms of not converting formats unnecessarily.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.