How to control an ardour session via osc / pure data

pretty general question: I would like to start / stop mute / etc via triggers that get derived from data via pure data. Is there a tutorial or advice where to start? I m guessing I would use open sound control to do it, or I need to write a lua script? any advice is appreciated!

I guess you know that Ardour already supports OSC?

@ philsuess yes i do. I m just a newbie in that realm ā€¦ I couldnt find out if i can trigger something like: fade track out, stop, rewind, solo next track, playback ? or something similar? this would be interesting for me to ā€œlaunchā€ and mute different tracks in ardour. also i do not know how to do this on a practical level: how do i send osc info, etc. i started reading into it, but any hint helpsā€¦

@calimerox

Most of what you want can be accomplished through OSC, though some things like Fade Track Out might be a bit more complex where you have to send a stream of OSC messages to update fader position as there is not a preset ā€˜fade outā€™ command in Ardour.

OSC is a network protocol, so you would have to send the commands to a network port. If you are using PureData though I would suggest starting here to understand how to send the messages:
http://write.flossmanuals.net/pure-data/osc/

And then look at the OSC link @philsuess provided to see what messages Ardour understands and how they are used.

Seablade

1 Like

thanks guys, starting to read and will get back!

Another osc option Iā€™d recommend (if nothing else just to see a way of example of a way you could implement things)
is open-stage-control (which is nice cause it runs as a server and can be controlled easily by multiple devices such as phones, tablets, etc.

they have an example for an ardour control that works surprisingly well https://github.com/jean-emmanuel/ardour-control

donā€™t forget to enable osc control on ardour!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.