How to back up / save an edited theme?

I have spent the better part of 3 days changing the colors of the Caineville theme to make it easier on the eyes and nicer to my taste. I wouldn’t like to go through all this again should something happen. How do I save my changes? Is there some file/directory I have to create/edit/rename to achieve this?

Thanks

Go to the personal config dir:
~/.config/ardour8

there you’ll find a file named along “my-colors-ardour.colors”

If you want to go further and have it in the rolling themes selector complete the header line (ex below) of that file and move it to the ~/.config/ardour8/themes directory (you may have to create it)

<Ardour theme-name="Bob93Caineville">

1 Like

I found the file my-caineville-ardour-1:5.12.0.colors in that directory
The first 2 lines of that file say:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Ardour>

Let me see if I understand this part. I must end up with file /root/.config/ardour8/themes/my-caineville-ardour-1:5.12.0.colors

And that file’s first 2 lines must say

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Ardour theme-name"Bob93Caineville">

Correct?

Cause I did that and no new theme is showing on the list. Did I miss something?

So I am not a big one on themes so staying out of that, but the above suggests you are running Ardour as root? I would generally suggest you not do that, you would need to set up your machine properly for a standard user to have the needed permissions, so it is a bit more work in many cases (Unless you use a distro set up already for this part, like AVLinux) but a much more secure way to oeprate your system.

Seablade

You missed an = sign after theme-name.

2 Likes