how i can record with my guitar fx pedal?

hello! im new to the world of aedour witch i use it with linux.

i want to record my guitar via my fx pedal (a zoom g2,1u) with usb connection. so i add a new channel but how i can set ardour to see my fx pedal and get the signal to start recording?

you have to find out if there is a alsa-driver for your fx pedal under linux.
if it is supported by alsa then it will work with jack and you can use it with ardour as well.
ardour “talks” to jack and not to the soundcard directly.

Best way IMO would be going 100% analog with the output(s), your pedal might have some advanced settings for the output tone or sound colour, you might have to set it up to something like line/headphones?

i think this device uses the Standard USB audio interface. You would be able to record from it (it should come up as “USB audio”).
This guy : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=517796 had some success.

From the story on ubuntuforums I’m not sure if it also does playback: If it doesn’t you wouldn’t be able to hear any other Ardour tracks while recording since jack is limited to one sound card.

@seb: not quite true. There are two possibilities:

1. use the alsa_in/alsa_out clients present in JACK 1 0.118.2 to provide routing to a separate audio interface
  2. use the -P and -C arguments of the JACK ALSA backend to specify different devices

Option (1) is vastly preferable since alsa_in and alsa_out will do resampling to handle the lack of sync between the interfaces that are being used.

hello again! yes the device use a standar usb interface. with some invastigation at audacity when i tried to record i had singal at the recording channel but i cant hear it. also i cant select any device to record wich is wierd.
also i dont understad what alsa and jack do? if someone can explain me cause i dont know

so what i can do? have to change my audio card and put a more profesionall?

at the alsa site i cant find any driver for my fx pedal.

ALSA is the driver for your sound card (if it is supported), the ALSA driver is a module that loads into the kernel and allows applications to ‘talk’ to the physical hardware that makes up the sound card interface.
JACK is a software ‘sound server’ - when you start JACK, it will connect to your sound card via the driver (ALSA or FFADO for firewire etc). Other audio applications (such as ardour) can then connect to JACK (as a client application would connect to a server) and you can then instruct JACK to route audio between the sound card and audio applications or from one audio application to another.
This is a very flexible approach - it means that Ardour (and other audio programs) don’t need to know (or care) which physical audio interface you are using or how to drive it, they just need to know how to connect to JACK and JACK will then connect them to each other or to the soundcard.
More info about JACK is at

http://www.jackaudio.org